TOP 10 Most Notorious Rapids on East Coast

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Dooleyoc-1
CBoats Addict

Post by Dooleyoc-1 »

How about lower cullasaja, upper west prong (chimneys trailhead to chimneys picnic area), hair of the bear (cloudland canyon ga) or the twisting falls gorge of the Elk in NC? Those are some pretty tough ones I've canoed around here. Suck Creek near Chattanooga TN is another good one.
Louie

Post by Louie »

Henderson, Richland, North Pole, Pole Bridge, Morgan, McGill those are all IV and V with in fifty miles or less of each other.
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

FullGnarlzOC wrote: Fit the det through the race slot as well. So i remember someone sayin that they didn't think an OB fit... it does.

and Mick - it wasn't too bad.... i remember both u and i were lookin at Mark like he was crazy, and there was no way we'd fit. But its possible. Not that hard of a move either.
I got the L'edge w'edged in there, and took some wiggling to get through, but the Esquif site lists the L'edge at 29.75" wide, and the Det at 27". Next we should try to get someone in a Zoom (28") and a Spanishfly (29") to run it and we'll really dial in how wide it is.

It's not a hard move, but you do need to make SURE you're straight :o
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

I bet a couple more inchs, w/ a perfect line up and it would fit. I also thing, it prob depends on what levels... perhaps the lowr the water is, the wider it gets? who knows.

Thanks Dooley/Louie. The list is piling up. If anything - we can put a big list together for people that want to go after stuff hard. That way you can just start checkin' runs off.

I'm pumped to fire up Moshier and Eagle section of the Beaver River in two weeks, during the release..... If anyone wants to go, Joe and I are planning to be out there. Look for the Det duo. Unless he decides to be a traitor and bring his Sfly.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
pdown2
C Guru

Post by pdown2 »

I don' t know about toughest but Sec IV's 5 Falls at 3+' is just one nice long Class V....might not be the toughest but its classic.

Then there is Bear Creek's Stairway to Heaven and Horsepasture's Sidepocket Falls.

...or Linville anything.
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

If you get up to the north here, there is always The Gorge and Cribworks on the penobscot. A buddy of mine saw a canadian in an open boat wave wheel Exterminator. :o I think that would look pretty snazzy on film.... There are also some burly creeks up here. Never tried most of em myself, but the whole 8 foot boof into 6 inches of water isn't quite within my comfort zone.
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
Louie

Post by Louie »

8 ft boof into six inches of water. that is the first drop of lowers potters if I ever heard of it. While i am here lets not forget lemans Falls Upper Potters on Crooked Fork.
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Post by OC1er »

I'm just gonna post the ones that loom in my mind, for various reasons:

Towers on the RFG. Been running over there lateley at lowish water (up to 350ish), I've pinned in Towers twice, cleaned it once (on the manky right line)

Third Drop, RFG - that one just looks tough for a lefty at low water

El Ho, RFG - sweetest drop in the world, manks all the fear above worth it!

Watauga Falls - Looks like a greaty lefty move, just gotta give 'er

Hydro on the Watauga - got wrecked in the middle, ended up in small eddy on the left above the hole, hopped out.

Body Snatcher on the Doe - Swam in once, walked it once after getting strained early in the day (lost the confidence that day, and that walk is horrible)

Sinks and Meanies on the Little - never had a problem, but my friend got her head bashed in up there, makes you think twice...but that boof in the meanies could be worth it, it's the jam!

Oceana on the Tallulah, cuz we're planning on heading over there soon

Everything on the Green (Lite?!), cuz my boys are starting to fire it up and I'm too scared

Everthing on White Top, cuz I miss it so bad. Last good level was first weekend of ALF this year (What a way to start Alf, right at home!). Got a run at +/- 1" Sunday in the playboat, manky as hale but Big Rock was fun
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

RodeoClown wrote:
FullGnarlzOC wrote: Fit the det through the race slot as well. So i remember someone sayin that they didn't think an OB fit... it does.

and Mick - it wasn't too bad.... i remember both u and i were lookin at Mark like he was crazy, and there was no way we'd fit. But its possible. Not that hard of a move either.
I got the L'edge w'edged in there, and took some wiggling to get through, but the Esquif site lists the L'edge at 29.75" wide, and the Det at 27". Next we should try to get someone in a Zoom (28") and a Spanishfly (29") to run it and we'll really dial in how wide it is.

It's not a hard move, but you do need to make SURE you're straight :o
next time i'm there we'll see if a sfly fits :)
Joe
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

I knocked out some runs in the 'daks(5 inches of rain) this past week over the course of 5 days. Not as continuous as what i'd like for the endgame video (or beginning game video ;) )

But we got some really nice high quality HD footage of some really gorgeous drops, and im sure some of them will be used, as they r big name drops up North. This was my attempt at taking it to the next level, via Steep Creeking, and having only the Cheat(totally different) and Upper Yough to really compare it too; all the drops were incredibly intimidating for me. Absolutely daunting.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't shakin in my boots for the first half of the week. But as the week progressed, I started to get more and more confident as we went on. I went from thinking that every big drop was going to equal major pain if/when I screwed up, to thinking I'm not going to screw up. Overall, it was an incredible trip, and a great learning experience.

Tuesday - Upper/Lower Otter Creek
Wednesday - Lower Moose @ 4.6ft
Thursday - Bottom Moose @ 3.8ft
Friday - Middle Branch of Oswegatchie and the Grass
Saturday - East Branch of Oswegatchie

Fired up almost everything except "Large Marge" on the grass. There was a decent contingent of kayakers from all over, and they all commented on how it was really fun watching a Open Canoe bombing those drops. A few were saying how it 'inspired' them to prob pick it up soon, just to switch things up, and make it more challenging. One even offered to buy my Detonator (which took much damage from this week), if I was to buy another boat (plastic). So...that's pretty cool. +2 for the good guys.

Gman is prob going to put out a 10-15min HD Open Canoe video of the trip. He got almost everything except Twin Falls of the Grass...which is a bummer, because I ran a great line, on a spectacular drop. I'm excited to see how it's gonna turn out. I ain't never had 'dat HD footage before.

and hey... no swims! success!!!
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

joe - i think a sfly can fit? might have to turn it a lil sideways ish
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

gonna be close-over the weekend i had my spanishfly and a l'edge side by side, upside down to compare the hulls, and they're practically indentical. i'd say you'd have a hard time telling the apart.
Joe
Eli
The Canoe Guru - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by Eli »

The SpanishFly fits...although during these 2 hour releases make sure you are on the bubble.
When in Doubt...Paddle Forward!
www.thecanoeguru.com
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

gumpy wrote:gonna be close-over the weekend i had my spanishfly and a l'edge side by side, upside down to compare the hulls, and they're practically indentical. i'd say you'd have a hard time telling the apart.
I wouldn't :lol:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

gumpy wrote:over the weekend i had my spanishfly and a l'edge side by side, upside down
You should try to stay upright when paddling more often, even if its for "research".