Possible interest building for canoeing?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Re: Possible interest building for canoeing?

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Truckee, I'm pretty familiar with the runs up there after going there a bunch for the last three years. Excellent group camping available too. Cascade playpark is actually called kellys whitewater park and its just north of the cabarton put in on the north fork in the town of cascade. Wonderful little town. The payettes is basically a system of three rivers the combine and form the main payette. There's even a play spot downstream of the takeout for the main called the gutter. We had good water in July this year, and it's pretty consistent year to year.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

They are in the midst of building a playpark in Boise too FYI. Should be done by next July.
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

I know, I know. . . there's nothing like a dose of practicality to dampen a good philosophical discussion. However. . .

We just may be on the brink of a wonderful event here. (I've begun to pack my gear already.)

But events don't 'just happen.' If the dreams are going to turn into plans, there will be a need to envision some organizational tasks, and have some of us step forward to nail some logistics.

Some examples, noting some of the common themes:

1. Paddle some good runs -- we'll need some experienced and skilled guides -- and mentors -- who are familiar with the runs

2. Book some solid instructional clinics -- we'll need to define what clinics are wanted, book some clinicians, and (I presume) have some kind of registration process

3. Facilities (campsites, waterpark. . .) -- do they require reservations (?)

4. Commercial displays & demos -- we'll need to book reps.

5. Registration -- how many will plan to show up? Can we accommodate and manage the numbers?

So-o. . . Maybe an informal committee to put the blueprint together ???

Smurf -- you know the area, and have been to similar events. Any suggestions about how we should proceed?

Keep talkin', folks! :D

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

if it worked out for timing and flights I would be happy to come as an Instructor/Mentor. It would be a lot of fun.
Canoe Instructor and full time canoe fanatic.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Quite honestly, I can't imagine it being a commercial rep attending/scheduled training type of event initially. People will want to boat, and there is a ton of runs to hit and people will have traveled long distances. I can't imagine any noobs showing up needing basic canoe instruction either. To me, it should be a casual (but well planned) event during the first year or two. How embarrassing would it be to ask a rep to show with a demo fleet and have 5 guys there to talk too? If we can get a good group together we could use that info to lure others. I forgot what weekend Jeremy said he would be up there, but there's someone right there who could teach a viable 'playboating' course at the playpark in Cascade. And... he might just have demos with him. Soooo..... thats an idea.

As for reservations and such, they are required for group campsites at the National Forest campgrounds that we use. I'll have a very large area reserved on the 19th-22nd of July. Enough room for anyone who shows, and there will be plenty of individuals there to lead multiple trips in one day. You just have to not mind a mixed boat type crew. My club has done this every year for about 7 years and its worked out well with the flow levels at that time of year. The water's fluctuated from being on the low and high side of medium levels. Everything will be doable. The North Fork will still be raging probably around the 2k level.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

As for event registration, there is really no easier way to do it than creating a Facebook Event. If you're not on Facebook I guess you could force yourself to join so that you could interact with the event and register as an attendee. It keeps a running tally of everyone who says they are attending/maybe attending/not attending and we can send messages to the group if needed, while posting info on the Event's wall for general consumption.

We need to confirm a date, if you wanted to have just a Cboat event or if you want to combine this first event with my clubs event. I think that would be ideal as we'd have tons of safety and lots of options. If we do it all alone, we would most likely be stuck paddling as a single group or two. Which, isnt a bad thing at all and (to me) would be the most rewarding since I'd be there to paddle with other open boaters and get to know all of you better.

Thoughts on the date? I can't find a date on the USA Freestyle Kayaking site for when they will be holding their event in Cascade. Any clue when that would be published?

So, questions for those interested.
1. Facebook event?
2. Dates available?
3. Join my club on the 19-22nd July or do separate event? (I will be there most weekends in July, so you're not breaking my heart with whatever you guys choose.)
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Kelly's playpark in Cascade is super canoe friendly. It has five features that range from big and chundery to small and tame. The 'medium' wave is my favorite as its super wide and retentive enough to throw whatever you want.

Here are some vids of the park- medium feature
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 6873&saved
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 8322&saved

Here's a mess of clips thrown together of some payettes stuff-
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... 2896&saved
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

started new topic specifically for WESTFEST

http://www.cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic. ... 566#p89566
johnd
C Guru

Post by johnd »

The Idaho trip sounds like a fine idea. But maybe something in California like a weekend armada on the So. Fork of American or Kern rivers or both might be worth doing also. Just throwing a crazy idea out there to think about for next season.
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

now yer talkin!
damned if i'm gonna drive 12 hours PAST (EAST of) the sierras to go boating :roll:
would love to see some c-boaters get together and I would be more than happy to NOT mentor or instruct (I hate that institutional stuff), but I would show the lines and offer casual support on some really sweet runs.
oops! ...is it for facebooking open boaters only? :oops:
Larry
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Go for it John! I agree that 1 event that's far from most is an awesome opportunity, but not for everybody, so it leaves lots room for other get-togethers drawing from smaller travelling radii - so start figuring out where and when to invite near-California boaters who want to follow Larry.

Then post some pics on Facebook!

Pat.
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

yarnellboat wrote:Go for it John! . . .start figuring out where and when to invite near-California boaters who want to follow Larry.
. . . and, Hey! -- keep us posted. Ya never know what out-of-staters just might be into a road trip! :P

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I drove through Colorado to paddle at ALF, you don't hear me complaining. :roll: Also, complaining because Facebook gets used to help plan a get together is kinda silly. Its not like you have to pay to sign up. :roll: :roll:

California would be cool, I've wanted to hit the Kern area for quite some time. Maybe incorporate a get together at the American River Festival?
busterblue
CBoats Addict

Post by busterblue »

Its not like you have to pay to sign up.
You do have to pay, just not with money.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Keep it loose and unorganized...too much organization and you'll be collecting dues and making folks sign release forms...
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles