Pump allowed during ALF Tellico Race

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

What do you think about pumps being allowed in Open-boat racing

It is an absolute travesty.
22%
Not happy about it.
10%
I like the addition of pumps allowed
10%
I don't really care either way.
41%
There was a race?
18%

Total votes: 51

FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Re: Pump allowed during ALF Tellico Race

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

Kneal - I had an awesome time at ALF. How could you not - boating good whitewater for 7 days in a row.

- Some of us had a fireside conversation about the inactivity of Cboats, what may have caused that, and reasons as to why we like Cboats... So naturally - Eddy McGnarlz sees it fit to rial people up... I figure this topic would do just fine for now.

This year at ALF - I actually raced, whereas last year...I just caught eddys. I just found it rather disappointing to see people blasting water out of their boat... I couldn't help to think that no matter what the 'actual' rules were.. it's just flat out ghey.

If you were using a pump during the race.... shame on you.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Glad it was a great time. Starting to read good stuff about the week. Like everyone who posts here, you're welcome to express your opinion. And if this site is not meeting your level of excitement, or activity, then certainly go and enjoy the other sites/forums that do. So far, all I've understood about ALF is some issue about to "pump or not to pump". Take the time to post what you got to do at ALF.
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
pmp
CBoats Addict

Post by pmp »

well, I'm in shock... not about the topic but the fact that i agree with tommy.
i'm usin' a pump and lovin' it (less tiring, always empty for those sweet moves) but for the race i left the battery out. Just seemed like the right thing to do at an OC race. Definitely makes you chose your lines more carefully and makes running dry a celebrated skill.
mmm... wonder if there is a comic topic there... I mean the pump debate, not the agreeing with tommy thing:)
paul
bubblestreet.ca
theracane.ca
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

pmp wrote:wonder if there is a comic topic there... I mean the pump debate, not the agreeing with tommy thing:)
I think they'd both make good comics. :)
SkeeterGuy86
Select Paddles Sponsored Paddler

Post by SkeeterGuy86 »

R = Rally
A = Against
C = Corporate
E = Expansion
SG86

here in the south east god paddles on the left and that's how he made our rivers ~ oc1paddlr

http://select-kayaks.com/en/paddles/canoe-raft/c1/
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

pmp wrote:mmm... wonder if there is a comic topic there... I mean the pump debate, not the agreeing with tommy thing:)
paul
paul... :wink:

Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

That reminds me... Anyone know a paddler who can use a pump as an offensive, not defensive weapon? My dad swears that one of his old paddling buddies was such a sweet talker, that he could pull up to you in an eddy, engage you in conversation, all the while pumping out his boat (manually), right into your boat, while you never even noticed till he was done. I have tried to spray 'yakers with my bilge pump during boat ball, but generally between plays, not in the middle of the game. :evil: 8)

Shep
1blade
c

Post by 1blade »

I always try to soak kayakers with my pump. I just slip up in the Eddie get beside them and WHAMMO. I flip my switch and their dashing to get out. By then I've already have them hemmed in so they can't get away without getting a little soaked. I love it. But kayakers are a slow breed of individual. They remind me of the slow children at play signs.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Rules.... RULES!!!

We're canoeist... we don't need no stinking rules!

:wink:

Race what you brought ....use what you can...conplain if you lose (or get caught breaking the rules!)!!! :D
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

I guess one of the excuses on Paul's shirt should have been "my battery was dead" or "I don't use no stinkin' electric pump."

One other reason I don't use an electric pump is that our lives are so filled with devices. It's nice at a put-in to leave all electric contraptions behind and just enjoy the water, the canoe, the great outdoors, and human power. I don't want to be worried about a battery, short circuits, etc.
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

Shep wrote:
pmp wrote:wonder if there is a comic topic there... I mean the pump debate, not the agreeing with tommy thing:)
I think they'd both make good comics. :)

A true artist would combine them into one.

but then that can be a little tricky.
Proud Yankee
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

I can see the cartoon now.... some dude going over plugging there bow deep in the water at 'autoboof'... and theres 6-8 pumps blasting water out of the boat, very similar looking to craigs pic....and you have a little bubble of the person thinking...."I'll never need to run a dry line again"
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
busterblue
CBoats Addict

Post by busterblue »

Yeah. There are absolutely no consequences if you use a pump. Holes don't flip you and breaking waves don't slow you down. I don't believe in rolling either. It makes people lazy about staying upright. :D
ckingoc1
C Guru

Post by ckingoc1 »

FullGnarlzOC wrote:Kneal - I had an awesome time at ALF. How could you not - boating good whitewater for 7 days in a row.

- Some of us had a fireside conversation about the inactivity of Cboats, what may have caused that, and reasons as to why we like Cboats... So naturally - Eddy McGnarlz sees it fit to rial people up... I figure this topic would do just fine for now.

This year at ALF - I actually raced, whereas last year...I just caught eddys. I just found it rather disappointing to see people blasting water out of their boat... I couldn't help to think that no matter what the 'actual' rules were.. it's just flat out ghey.

If you were using a pump during the race.... shame on you.

If you really want to see who had a dry line, have everybody run with 1 or both airbags out! I can tell you from experience that a pump won’t help you if you have a roll or just get a lot of water at once
As far as the same on me thing, I’m not sure if I should feel bad about running a pump in that "race" or not running something besides the Tellico when something else is running.

But if it is going to cause a bunch of hurt feelings(some of you know me saying on that!) I will either go somewhere else or not race.

I would be in for the take a airbag race!(But yes I'd would still use a pump)

busterblue wrote:Yeah. There are absolutely no consequences if you use a pump. Holes don't flip you and breaking waves don't slow you down. I don't believe in rolling either. It makes people lazy about staying upright. :D

I got the wrong pump!:lol:
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Post by eddyhops »

busterblue wrote: I don't believe in rolling either. It makes people lazy about staying upright. :D
You may be on to something more than you're aware of with that statement
JD