big boat crashes

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Dale Barton
C Boater

Post by Dale Barton »

Have run Stateline Falls on Watuaga, Big Sandy Falls, Big Splat, Potters Falls, Baby, and Falling Water Falls, in OCA, some with thigh straps, some with just a big styrofoam block, and have been upright at the bottom of all(luck), but was always in center of the boat. There is an old saying that long boats have the advantage over shorter boats(this from a yakker 30 tears ago) because long boats "bridge the holes better".
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

Post by Longboatin »

2o1 - no offense taken, thanks 4 puttin up the vid - figure since some people got to see i'm not a complete azz, I be gettin plenty of shid on on the boards from now on.

Thanks Dale... now I gotta run Big Sandy and splat? :x
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

lb fiend

Post by Longboatin »

smerd, not sure what being a ninety-8 pound weakling got to do wid it...

Gotta say everone got lots of suggestions, and not saying I tried all before, but I have paddled this particular longboat hull in many guises. And its really just experimentation, and aesthetics that drive my innerest in longboatin. A hull is an interesting form out and in. All stuffed wid bags and outfitting, the longboat looks cluttered, maybe ugly.

Hopefully, wills footage of the run won't hit the cutting room floor, and we'll get to check just how amazingly quick that boat surfaced after the drop.
For me, you just gotta poke yer bow in there and see what happens sometimes.
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

2opnboat1 wrote:I didtn't post this video to bash Lengthy...
Seriously! Sometimes, you fellow cboaters just need to breathe easy and relax.

And those ARE some ugly bruises! :D

KNeal
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

LB,

I just saw some additional better video - easy for me to say having never run a waterfall in any kind of boat... but, looks like you coulda used a big-boat-sized boof stroke at the lip instead of leaning back and coasting over! A little more speed might've kept you from sticking, sinking, & floppin' over. Almost had it!

And "resurfaced"? Only your bow "resurfaced", because at the other end of the teeter-totter you & your stern remained buried & unstable in the bottom of the falls.

Maybe next time you'll experiment with a boof stroke, a centre seat, and at least some stern flotation? So far you've given us the control part of the experiment, now let's play with some of these variables!

Keep havin' fun, Pat.
Lengthy
C Guru

Post by Lengthy »

Half the battle gettin through a rapid cleanly is knowin where to go. Louie you give some good directions cause all I did was went where you said and it was a nice line. I've never seen that rapid before. Thanks.
That said and out of the way: Louie, feel free to use my line at baby falls anytime you like. I didn't patent it, but I should cause it is sweeeeet.
I love the smack talk. :roll:
You know what they say about guys with long boats.............. I have a 16 footer!
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

experimentation... ?

Thought you were the guy with all the answers, who was coming down south to show us how it's done. Main reason I raced was to shut you up, and you were a no show. Just as expected it's been all mouth for the last (so many) months.

As for running a 'long-boat' off of Baby Falls, it's been done hundreds and hundreds of times. It was just before the days of video. I've run them off myself. Even boats with and without flotation. But never was I bounced black and blue off a thwart. Back in the day, Long-Boats were the norm, and people knew enough to make it look easy. As for the sitting in one end BS, only thing I see coming from it, is wearing out one end at a time. It's certainly way too far from a eddy to do any real technical boating. You certainly didn't want any part of Tremont, and I'd of gladly swapped boats to see that show. I believe I could have taken your boat down, and most certainly Lengthys. Here's a tip, you lay'em up on their side to gain rocker and maneuverability. And if you're looking to prove anything (forget it), I believe Dick Wooten may have done it (B.Falls) standing up. For certain I've accompanied him while he stood up on all the rest, with no straps or saddle.

When you're ready to learn a little we can swap boats, and I'll show you something. Or does a little boat scare the bejesus out of ya. Because a big one doesn't scare me, as we started out using 16 footers with a drop thwart. And have already learned to paddle without air bags. In those days we thought sytrofoam was high tech, because old inner tubes were in every garage. Not that we ever really considered a Kennebec to be much of a boat, Yes - I've paddled them too.

Too bad Bob Whaley wasn't there, to do it in a Gruman for you.
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

In some peoples minds...

Post by Longboatin »

Wow... Phil...the animosity, you must a really wanted that Maxim.

Some of you short o/c boaters act like a bunch of intermediate, PA kayak club memebers. All bent outta shape because someone cruise down old skool, making ya feel less extreme.
My question is why? Yeah people have done it before, but why not still? The longboat does many things very well.
Thats been my only statement.
Sure its not good everywhere, like Treemont, thats a proper creek and I chose to beat my equipment within reason. I wouldnt take the boats you guys chose there at that level. TOO LOW!

Anyway, met a bunch of great people down there, but pleased I missed on meeting u phil
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

LB- you sir, are the Zoltan of open boating.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMzx830MvjA
Whoever is editing the footage for the Canoe Movie, please edit that 'attempt' and that 'interview' out... makes us all look kooky.

That is all.
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

little blue one

Post by Longboatin »

Puhleese...
Doncha know that trainwrecks sell dude? :roll:

now go continue bilking us honest 'mericans out of tax money wid those multi "wives" yins got out there.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

HHahahahahhaah, yeah well......ya got a point. :) Anyways, I may be "here" but I ain't "from here", if ya get my drift.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

:o the ANIMOSITY has been all yours...

You've ranted and belly-hooed about your ability, put down everyone in a short boat, and called out many (including me) over the last months. With little to no humor implied, many times to the point the Admins should have acted. :oops:

.... I'm simply returning it to sender. :D
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

As this has gone from amusing to folks being a bit more personal than we'd like (and we've had to edit some posts... we don't like to have to work!), and some of you are confused by who you are talking to (putting one forum members name down when they haven't even posted in the thread and obviously mean someone else... pay attention folks!)...

we're locking the thread for a bit to let y'all cool down (you all for folks in the north :wink: )
Keep the C!
Adam