2011 North Branch of the Potomac Armada Apr. 30-May 1

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

ESP
C Guru

Post by ESP »

The LY is over 9000cfs right now. You're looking at bigger features than the U Gauley during fall release going through entrance. Should be interesting to see the Loop run on Fri. :lol:
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Savage is predicted to be at 500-750 on Friday. If I were to be in the area that day, I would cancel everything else and get on the Savage. As many times that day as I could! :D As things stand, I'll see y'all at the campground that night for ginger ale (got sumpin to say about that, Tommy? :evil: :wink: ) and the usual "stories". AW has recommended levels for the Savage at 250-2000. :o I'd say 1000 is the magic number. Less is fine as well. I'll keep an eye on the release prediction for Saturday and post it here. Here is a link on the AW info.:

http://americanwhitewater.org/content/R ... il/id/748/

Adam, if I remember correctly, the year the Savage was going off was when y'all were still using that roadside campground. I was not there and I think it was 2003?
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Lengthy
C Guru

Post by Lengthy »

The entire LY only takes an hour and a half at this level. Big holes. Lotsa fun. :o
You know what they say about guys with long boats.............. I have a 16 footer!
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I remember rangers turning us away from the Yough a couple of years ago (not that I needed prompting
) - what's the cut off? That was the same year the Savage went from 200 or so to >3,000 in the time it took to drive there from Ohiopyle (via detours around downed trees...) I remember calling a homebound Kneal for level updates while driving around in the wilds of PA/MD/WV... good times :D
Lengthy
C Guru

Post by Lengthy »

I don't know that there is a cut off for private boaters. I've never been confronted about it and I've been on it as high as 13'. I could see them having an issue with private boaters on a busy weekend at levels above 8 or 9 feet. It really does get big. Rivers end is the real deal.
Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Post by Cheeks »

There's a level they stop allowing rented rubber, but as far as private hard boaters, if I remember correctly the DCNR just puts Darwin in the driver's seat.
Chris Loomis
huge
C Boater

Post by huge »

Unfortunately it looks as if my best laid plans are going awry and I won't be making it this year. Shame too, seems like the last time I cquirted the LY it was a bunch of water then too.

On another note, is anyone heading up through Asheville to the Armada? The Maven is itching to go up north and I'd love to help the potato chip get back home.

huge
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Just looked at the predicted Savage release for Saturday. It's scheduled for 500-1000 cfs! :D I'll so the NBP Saturday, but am planning on wrapping that up fast so I can get over to the Savage and run that with whoever else wants to go. This WILL be a "BIG BOYS" run. Who else wants to get on the Savage on Saturday? :D
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

Yes, Kneal... I'm in for anything, the steeper the better. Make sense to hit the Savage Saturday because we're going to be right there. Hopefully it holds well. We ran Bear Creek in Friendsville last year, and thats a great short run too. I'd also be willing to show a crew down the Top Yough. Or really any other run in the area, I'm familiar with them all.

Not sure if ESP and TonyB will be game for these other runs, so I may need to hop in a car when we get down there and we'll split up as needed.
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

Kids/family?

Post by ohioboater »

Anyone going to be there with kids on Saturday? My 10 year old daughter will be OC-2ing with me, and we'll probably end up at the NB, since the usual class 2 stuff in that area looks like it'll be bank full.

Won't be around on Sunday - 5th grade band concert...
FullGnarlzOC
C Maven

Post by FullGnarlzOC »

If Wills Creek is holding 1000cfs+ I highly recommend that. Almost over the Savage.

Dale and I got on it today at 1800cfs and it was prime time push n burlyness. Continous Big water moves on a creek. Gotta love it.
http://www.gnarlzoutdoors.com
Silverbirch Canoes - North American Distributor
Email: tom@gnarlzoutdoors.com
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Re: Kids/family?

Post by TonyB »

ohioboater wrote:Anyone going to be there with kids on Saturday? My 10 year old daughter will be OC-2ing with me, and we'll probably end up at the NB, since the usual class 2 stuff in that area looks like it'll be bank full.

Won't be around on Sunday - 5th grade band concert...
Dont know if my friend sarah counts as a kid but, she's small and childlike (tho she drinks).
Depending on level and my ankle, we might be taking my paddlecat, but we both want to be in our canoes.There's also a possibility if someone wanted to swap out at times. I just dont know how long the ankle can sit a canoe. Will be first time in on water.

gotta decide if Im brining the Ledge or paddling Ed's outraged.

gotta decide soon Mark will be here to pick me up.
Proud Yankee
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

Re: Kids/family?

Post by ohioboater »

TonyB wrote:Dont know if my friend sarah counts as a kid but, she's small and childlike (tho she drinks).
Never mind. I just found out that I'll be working on Saturday.

Oh well, the river isn't going anywhere.
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Saturday Savage release = 700-900 cfs. This level will be great and should see lots of boaters on it, but it'll be pushy class 4+ water as well as cold. Sunday is scheduled for 400-700. Still a step up in skill requirements but not as much pushy water. Consider the difficulty the same. I'll be leaving in a few hours and will see y'all before midnight.
C-boats Moderator

the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

...and I am still stuck in BC where just about absolutely nothiung is running right now... :( ...

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau