Opinion on pumps....

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Pumps and Canoes

Good Idea
67%
Bad idea
5%
Good but, not for me ....
8%
For Women, Weannies, or Weak at Heart ...
5%
Rather paddle a decked boat ...
15%

Total votes: 61

Dave C
c

Hose over the side

Post by Dave C »

:-? Sort of like intubation or an enema?
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Re: Hose over the side

Post by jscottl67 »

Dave C wrote::-? Sort of like intubation or an enema?
Ummmm...not exactly what I was thinking of 8) :evil: :o
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

hmmm ... Hoser ...

that's kind of appropo
cbcboat
CBoats Addict

Post by cbcboat »

I think the whole point of boating is to enjoy being on the water, EGO should NOT be involved. Taniwha (possibly mispelled) has it right, they can be used for showering, great picture!
For the record No pump for me, though the shower would be nice :D
B
Randy Dodson
C Guru

Post by Randy Dodson »

I never realized there was so much animosity toward pumps. I hope it doesn't have an effect on the the single blade comraderie we have on the river. When I paddle with another single sticker who's in a boat I don't care for, it doesn't matter, after all, he's a kneeler like me. I hope he's not thinking I'm an idiot for having a pump......that is once I get a pump.

We all use the same strokes. Even those that do it the best still get water in their boats. Pumps ain't about paddling, they're about gettin rid of that water. :)
Parrot Head Paddler
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I'm in the camp of it's all about getting out on the water. I don't care how you do it. Particularly if you're using a single blade...there will ALWAYS be someone who is better in some sub-discipline, and some boat (not to mention some river) that is harder to paddle.

So, pick your challenge!

No need to get all egotisical about who is "better" because of whether or not they use a pump. I'll admire MikeW for his ability to go through a rapid verticle (stern OR bow, as he's proven :roll: ) just as much as an open boater running something dry.... And I'll admire the first-time paddler with the HUGE smile the first time they run that new rapid with more of a sense of joy than relief even more!

Get out there and paddle, however you will. Personally I like to be open to new ideas, even if I end up not going that route.

There is always more to learn.
Keep the C!
Adam
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

We all choose our challenges. For some its running dry without a pump, for others its short boat freestyle where a pump enables you to do your thing without interruption, some c-boaters get their jollies running gates in composite boats, while others get off on wilderness tripping in Labrador. For many of us it's simply getting down a rapid upright. Aren't we all in c-boating because it offers us so many different challenges to choose from - challenges that aren't necessarily dictated by what some corporate kayak manufacturer thinks we should be choosing.

John
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Howdy …(again)

It simply seemed to me, that on this board electric pumps have come to be considered de-rigour. Well in the real world in which I live, I’d be laughed at - all the way home. Seen it, been there, it’s happening behind your back. Rest assured there’s a guy in line pulling off the same move and a guy at the bottom making the same line without a pump, and he’s not saying anything he simply knows! It’s not ego. It’s more like the bow hunter, who know it takes more skill. Take upgrading software on you PC for instance. If you’ve done it yourself, you’ll know a lot more about it, than somebody who just read about it ever will. If it’s ego, I deserve to be lambasted.

Just trying to drive home a point, for some of the younger boaters. It appears there are a few younger (impressionable) oc1’ers, that might benefit from the nudging of an old-gray hair. I could hardly care less, about berating some want-2be old guy. They need to get over it, and not tie the hands of our next generation, by inhibiting good boating skills. If I’ve encouraged just one young guy to chuck the pump and get better, then it’s been a worthwhile post.

If you need a pump, if you’ve become dependant on a pump, or a manufacture of pumps this post is not for you. I opened this post for the able bodied and still developing. I repeat for those still developing. I agree backs do go bad, and it’s heavy lifting a water-laden canoe. I also suggest that people roll the water out and stop lifting a canoe full of water. Take your time, it will empty, stop lifting. It’ll hurt you!!!!! Then you’ll really need a pump. Did your instructor teach you lift your boat, if so forget everything he said?

I do find it amusing that the very core of users for whom the pump makes the most sense, the “Women, Weak, and Weanies…” segment found the poll so irritating.

I’m just an old-gray-haired open boater, trying to help the next generation take the sport a step further. As stated before, if I’ve encouraged just one young guy to chuck the pump and get better, then it’s been a worthwhile post.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

John Coraor wrote:We all choose our challenges. For some its running dry without a pump, for others its short boat freestyle where a pump enables you to do your thing without interruption, some c-boaters get their jollies running gates in composite boats, while others get off on wilderness tripping in Labrador. For many of us it's simply getting down a rapid upright. Aren't we all in c-boating because it offers us so many different challenges to choose from - challenges that aren't necessarily dictated by what some corporate kayak manufacturer thinks we should be choosing.

John
... was assuming, that the discussion was about OC1 play-boating/freestyle and running whitewater in an OC1. Somebody even suggested it be legal for racing the Green-Narrows Race... oh-my-God
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

The Dry line is boring. It is fun to hit the hole, punch the wave, getsideways in a surf, push down on the bow to fill it just for fun. The sneak or the crease, Bah, give me the meat. It is fun to take water on, bailing or dumping suks. Take on the water, pump it out, continue to play. I have seen many hand pumps over the years, are they as bad as electric? how big of a bailer is allowed. There is no PURITY in taking the dry line, it is just another way down the river.
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
ohioboater
CBoats Addict

You got me

Post by ohioboater »

philcanoe wrote:hmmm...

isn't that avatar a PROBE
Yep, you got me. I guess I'm a boater who just can't handle a higher performance craft. Or maybe I got it cheap.

At least we don't have anyone on here saying they won't paddle with me because I use straps instead of ropes to tie my boats onto my vehicle. :o
bald1
Pain Boater

Post by bald1 »

I agree with Mr. Dead Legs. Just what is the cut off for what is hardcore enough in an open boat? Maybe dumping your boat shouldn't even be allowed. If you fill up and swamp you should just have to swim the rest of the river holding on to your boat, that will teach you to not run a dryline!!!

When I see a wave or hole I will paddle in knowing that my chances of swimming are good, but who cares. If I manage to roll then I don't have to go to shore and dump. My pump drains my boat and in I go again.

It's ridiculous to take a purist stance on pumps unless you are paddling a dugout or birchbark canoe.

I think a lot of this mentality is what has stalled whitewater canoeing. Look how far kayaking has come compared to canoeing.
and don't give me the old "canoes are harder" line. Kayakers embrace advances to their gear and their boat designs.

If it weren't for Esquif then there would be little to no progression of canoe design available to the masses.

Don't be afraid of change my c-boat brothers and sisters, its not always bad.

Once again I say...I love my bags, my drysuit and my pump!
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Yeah... what Phil says... and if you aren't paddlin' an old faded pink Encore your just a sucker caught up in some new fangled 'fad'. :lol:

You suthnah's need rain... I thought it was only us in the North that got "cabin fever".
Dave C
c

Pump design

Post by Dave C »

8) Now that I've helped Phil hammer everybody who uses a pump, I may as well say I have an elegant design for a fully portable system that can utilize one or two pumps and can be moved from boat to boat with ease. All components are fully waterproofed including the single connector and toggle switch which are installed in the the battery box. The battery is charged in its own waterproof box using your car's power outlet on the way to and from the river. I used this system in Colorado last year where I totally trashed my boat, but the pump still worked like champ.

I feel guilty about it, but what the heck.
keez
C Guru

pumps & oc boating

Post by keez »

What is this s**t. Dumbest thread ever guys. Now comparing manliness on pumps?!? Kneeling is the best/coolest/most skillful way to paddle, period.
I have a pump; use it to dump water, saving energy paddling a full boat. Don't turn it on sometimes, cause I need to stretch my legs and empty the boat on shore. Sometimes I roll to get water out after surfing holes. Sometimes I run dry lines. Who cares ... as long as we're out on the water, and doesn't matter what boat your in.
Let's stick to diss'n yakers. Solidarity brothers, solidaritry.
Keez