2008 North Branch of the Potomac Armada May 30-June 1

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Anybody bringing a Prelude? I've never paddled one and would like to at least hop in one for a few minutes.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Scott, pending on space on the roofrack Immight bring mine down. I'll let ya know.

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!

PS: can anyone help me out with this please: http://cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic.php?t=7958510 ?
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
huge
C Boater

Anyone coming in early?

Post by huge »

Looks like I will be arriving Thursday mid day. Anyone else up for a little pre-cquirt, Cquirting? Also, anyone have space for one more at a campsite? Despite my name, I really don't take up all that much space.
huge

P.S. Adam/Sara, nice job on the Cquirt shirt. Got mine and it looks sharp!
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Huge, I'll probably get there early afternoonish on Thursday. It'll just depend on how early I get my stuff together :-? I'd like to set up camp in the daylight, but I'm up for some squirting after that.

I had put out an invite for playing at Weldon early on Thursday, but it'll be too high for playboats. Judging from the current lake levels it'll be good for squirting, but that's WAY out of your way. I'll just head up to the Armada as soon as I can get on the road. The girls will be in school & my wife will be working, so I shouldn't be too late.

KNeal is on my site. Looks like all of the non-electric sites are taken, but 80, 82, 84, & 86 are still open.
cmnypny
CBoats Addict

I will not be able to attend this year.

Post by cmnypny »

I have to do a roadtrip out to BC next thursday for my grandma's funeral.

I will put the trip on next years list.

Adam ... Gonzo will be handling the t-shirt transaction for me.

It would have been nice to take pics of the sinking ships and meet new people but crap happens.

Peace and be safe out there.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

cmnypny sorry to hear of your loss! Our thoughts are with you and your family! We will see you next year! Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Roll Call! And last minute miscellany :

I'm coming with another boater, Robert, from down this way. He's an advanced beginner who will be just fine on the NBP. He's boated technical II+ and some big water III's.

Q: Any idea of the plan for Friday? I'm, of course, interested in the Cquirt championships but it sounds like we might not be where we were year before last? I'm hoping for a roadside spot and/or a place my friend can boat or at least spectate.

Note : I have two cases of Blenheim's Ginger Ale (the hot stuff) and barbecue sauce. What have you got? Maple syrup? Local beer? Other interesting consumables?

Plan : We're leaving Columbia, SC around noon and it is an 8 hour drive for us - we hope to hit the Robert Craig Campground sometime before 9:00 and share a site with Adam.

I'm bringing the Zephyr and a Maverick+ - the Zephyr is for Robert and the Maverick+ will probably not be coming home. I hope to be picking up an F2 and maybe Jack's Super Glide.

Scott
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Here's my plan:
Thursday night - arrive at ye campground
Friday - head to Friendsville, then Markleysburg (PS Composites), or wherever we're meeting for the Cquirt (which will be wherever the locals recommend, hopefully the Alley if it's in...)
Friday night - wherever we do dinner....

Saturday - meet up at the brick building 'across' from the takeout for the NBoP at around 10, then mosey on over to the takeout to set shuttle and such. Remember to bring $ for the put-in. Hopefully we'll be on the water by 11 (yeah right)

Sat. night - dinner at Fox's? Has anyone called them yet?

Sunday - I may paddle in the AM, or just start heading north...depends on what else is going on and such. TBD Sat. night I suspect.

I have my list of who purchased shirts...please bring cash...and exact change if you can ($15). I'll try and have some $5's with me....but I may run out.
Keep the C!
Adam
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

I haven't a site yet but the last I looked there were plenty available at the higher $22 a night rate. I will be staying Thursday and Friday night and then after the festivities heading to McHenry.
I will be bringing the Atom and Viper C1's as well as a mystery C2. It is not mine yet. No it won't be at Csquirt but that would be an interesting evolution.

Jim KR
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Weekend plans.....

Post by PAC »

Purposed scheduled for the weekend...

Friday - Meet at PS Composites 10 to 11. (directions can be found at http://www.customkayak.com/ ).
Then meet at Subway (next to Little Sandy's) for lunch at Bruceton Mills, WV 1:00 - order to go. Head to Jim Snyder's shop for a quick tour and to drag him out with us ( 8) ) with this new design and may be a KOR or two! 2 PM hit the Cheat Narrows (Alleys or maybe up stream - level dependent and based on Paul and Jim's advice) for Cquirt. Dinner at Pizza Hut in Kingwood when we get done squirting. Head towards NBofP.

Friday night - Camping as usual at Jennings Randolph non-hookup sites.

Saturday - meet at 10:00 at the brick pump house to set shuttle. Attempt to be on the water by 11 AM

Saturday evening - Fox's Pizza (Hopefully someone has called them to warn them).

Sunday - Breakfast (You are on your own due to limited selection near by) followed with paddling wherever. ASCI looks to be on the venue ( www.adventuresportscenter.com - Phone: 1 (877) 300-2724 Private boater costs - Cascades (2 pumps = class II-III from 10am-1pm) $15, Deep Creek (3 pumps = class III-IV from 1pm-4pm) $20, All Day Pass $25 ). Depart from home as needed.

When in doubt call - my cell is (412) 310 . 6039. Looking forward to Cing U! Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
space-katet
C Boater

borrow flotation?

Post by space-katet »

Does anyone happen to have extra airbags? A kayaking friend of mine recently acquired an old OC1 that I'm trying to convince him to bring along, but he doesn't have flotation for it yet.

And if we can't find airbags.... does anyone mind if a kayaker comes on the armada? I don't mind if you harass him ;-)

katie
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

The Canadian delegation (PrincessLeah, Scott C and myself will be there. Since the boys from Shaggy Designs can't make ity this year, I volunteered to be the inofficial Shaggy Designs rep. Sorry Folks, I don't have any stickers, but I will bring my Shaggy Sith as well as the Pagan as demo boats for people to try out.

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Alternate plan for Friday. For those who prefer to paddle Friday during "Shop Talk with Paul and Jim", call me about paddling either the Lower Yough or anything else that's running in the area.

804-405-3767

Space-katet, the kyacker will need to submit a request form for attending the Spring Armada while still using a "training" paddle. It will need to be hand-delivered to the cboats bored for approval/disapproval, then presented to the members of "Team Old Guy" where we will collaborate, grunt our displeasures about the choice of transportation (while there will many other choices for the boater), and give lots of personal opinions. After all of that, it shouldn't be a problem. :wink:
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: borrow flotation?

Post by sbroam »

space-katet wrote:... A kayaking friend of mine recently acquired an old OC1 that I'm trying to convince him to bring along, but he doesn't have flotation for it yet.
Dang, wish I had read this before I left the house! I'm heading out from work shortly... I had a set or two I could have brought... Anybody else help 'em out? Sounds like a good cause - bringing somebody else over to the light side!
Big Al
CBoats Addict

oc-1 airbags

Post by Big Al »

I can bring two from the Shaman I have for sale (might need some duct taping to keep the air in). Let me know if he's sure he wants to use the OC-1.