Off-side power

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Off-side power

Post by Sir Adam »

Off-side power
by Hogboy
As part of slalom training after a very long lay-off I'm spending a couple of sessions in the gym a week. Any ideas, suggestions on how to build up more power and flexibility for off-side cross-boat moves.

Thanks
Posted on May 23, 2002, 1:31 AM

offside power?
by maxwell
Hey. Not really an idea as to exercises to improve off-side power, but one regarding equipment. Try an "ergo-shaft" C-1 paddle. My paddle has a fairly aggressive bend at the grip, and the difference between the offside power provided by the "ergo-shaft" and the power provided by a straight shaft is like night and day! I'll never use a straight shaft again. Look around at different sources for paddles, or just shafts, and ask lots of questions. You can contact me directly for detailed info on "ergo shaft" sticks. Good luck.
Maxwell
Posted on May 23, 2002, 5:13 AM

Re: Off-side power
by Bob P.
In the gym, I think that any pect work would help. I do my workouts on flatwater, using offside sweeps to turn the boat at least 360 degrees - roughly 12 strokes. I repeat the sequence 3 or 4 times, until my arms hurt a lot. <G>
Posted on May 23, 2002, 3:13 P

Thanks
by Hogboy
Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like it just boils down to hard work after all!
Posted on May 24, 2002, 10:57 AM
Keep the C!
Adam