Paging Mr. Broam

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Paging Mr. Broam

Post by Sir Adam »

Paging Mr. Broam
by Brettal
Got the video about 20 minutes ago and it's about to be popped into the vcr. The post office window hours just ended, so I'll head back there tomorrow morning to send you monies. goes to watch funky moves3
Posted on May 28, 2002, 1:15 PM

89 Worlds Tape
by Sir Adam
GREAT footage!!! Wow. Certainly made me want to grab my F2 and head down the Hudson Gorge again...and Lugbill / Hearn where both SO smooth in the water. WOW.

C-ya IN the Rivah!
Sir Adam
Posted on May 29, 2002, 6:43 AM

I'll say this about the 89 Worlds video...
by KNeal
Holy Moley! Jed Prentice had a great 2nd run, Davey had a really great 2nd run, Jon had an awesome 1st run and simply INTIMIDATED everyone on his 2nd run. After watching these guys race, I feel like giving up on slalom since I will never come close to them. Even the Russian racer who trained for 6 months did really well! Uh, wait a second! Oh, yeah! I feel like giving up on slalom because of Big Nasty! That's right. Nevermind, I'll continue my racing. Thanks for the video, Scott (and the pics from the Lower Yough). Too bad we didn't get to see the c-2 racers.

KNeal
Posted on May 29, 2002, 7:25 AM

How about that move...
by Scott B.
Did you see that near vertical pivot turn / squirt the British (GBR) racer pulls off in the intro? He's pointed upstream coming backwards through a down gate near the top of the course, then just THROWS the boat straight up and over - while apparently still between the poles - and takes off to the next gate.

Ay, chihuahua.

Scott

Posted on May 29, 2002, 10:13 AM

i was there...
by jimg
...sitting on the bank, around gate 15 or so. got some good pics, my favorite is of lecky and jamie, jamie has his head in lecky's lap with the pole right over his adam's apple.

makes me think how much i HATE the state of slalom today. i yearn for the days of 200 + second times, 600 meter courses, a REAL penalty for hitting a pole, a practce run, mandatory reverse gates. i just HATE the tv-ized version of the sport now. 100 second times, 2 second penalties (whoop-de-doo, actually rewards sloppy technique), combined runs, 300 meter distances.

who here remembers when you had the race the whole length at south bend? last time there i actually heard a junior ask why the rest of the course was there. BECAUSE WE USED TO HAVE TO RACE THAT FAR, KID!!!!

ok, off my soap box. i'm turning into an old man, rocking in my chair, complaining about the youth of today. but you know, i don't care. take me back to the good old days of slalom.
Posted on May 29, 2002, 6:54 PM

Hudson Derby
by Sir Adam
There are still some races that are a bit longer...20 gates, most times 10-12 MINUTES (for the Giant Slalom), some penalties all around at the Hudson River Whitewater Derby (Saturday's race-slalom). Interested in this years results?:

http://www.whitewaterderby.com/2002_der ... slalom.htm

There's also a Downriver race on Sunday (winning time is usually just under an hour...).

Unfortunately the event is not as popular as it once was (this was the 45th annual race)...perhaps you (and others!) will journey north for next years race!

C-ya!
Sir Adam
Posted on May 29, 2002, 7:59 PM

The good 'ol (slalom) days
by Bob P.
<<i yearn for the days of 200 + second times, 600 meter courses, a REAL penalty for hitting a pole, a practce run, mandatory reverse gates.>>

Been there - done that. The reverse gates were a joke, so I don't miss those much, and as I get older I can appreciate the shorter courses. <G>

If you want a challenge, try open boat slalom. 180-240 second courses, 10 second penalties, no sneaking, and an ocassional "manditory" reverse. Try backing the entire length of a 13' or 15' boat through a gate that's only a foot wider than the boat! And then there's the additional factor of getting water over the gunwales...
Posted on May 30, 2002, 3:30 PM

I get goose bumps every time I watch it!
by DaveM
Let's not forget Thierry, his third place finish was awesome as well.

I agree about the TVisation of slalom racing.
1. Make the courses longer.
2. Bring back the best of two runs.
3. Bring back 5 second penalties.

That World Championships was an awesome experience!!

They released 1,000 cfs out of the Savage a couple of weeks ago, but they never tell anyone and so only a few folks get to run it.

The move at gate 1 around the end of the dam was really really hard....DM
Posted on May 30, 2002, 5:37 AM
Keep the C!
Adam