C2 experence....

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

C2 experence....

Post by Sir Adam »

C2 experence....
by PAC
OK folks the C2 has arrived and in fact it even made it to the river this past Sunday on the middle yough.
I’ve sent a couple photos of the boat to cboats.net (not sure if you can post photos on the forum) to see if anyone knows any thing as to the model, make, history, etc. I would appreciate this info. just out of curiousity. All I know is that the boat has been around for some time (i.e.: old). The photos also show how the boat is trimmed with son and dad on board - which was better than I thought it would be.

The dimensions on the C2 are 15 foot in lenght and 32 inches wide. It’s a light lay up (and needs lots of and lots of work). Yes Adam, I’ve started reading up on grinding, lay ups, taping out, mix, etc. I’ve also dug out my protective gear – mask, goggles and an EPA bunny suit.

As for the set up of the trim, even thought I weigh in at 3 times plus) than my 7 year son (no snide comments please) the boat trims out fairly nicely once on water, without me play with weight, etc.

I found the C2 to be very responsive (or at least more responsive than I thought it would be) on class A and I. We were able carve turns in and out of eddies, ferry without fear, do a minor attain, and do so mini-surfing (the boy love that)!

As for my son’s first C2 experience, at first he didn’t want to go. I later told by the wife, he thought we were going to go over the falls in Ohiopyle (were would he get such a thought?). I explain to him river ratings and assure him that it was a class I and II trip so he finally decide to go (mom assure him dad would take care of him). What a great time! Both he and dad had a blast. I kept the trip short (roughly a mile) starting with flat water and ending with I+. He enjoyed it enough that he wants to go again next weekend J ! What a great father’s day present.

Things I learned:
C2 Performance – What you expect and get are very different. I’m very surprised as to how this boat performs. In class I, I could control the boat fairly effectively from the stern without help from the bow paddler.
C2 Paddling Partner – If your kid, wife, friend etc. (who doesn’t paddle) is going to be your partner don’t first show them Kayak crash and burn tapes and expect them to be excited about being part of the team. Also expect for the bow paddler to be dry and you to be wet (lots of paddle banging and splashing – the boy just couldn’t get the J stroke thing).
Clothing – If your taking someone much smaller / bigger than you start scrounging for gear now.
Overall – Make sure the second paddler has a fun trip! Definitely not a “divorce” boat trip - I'm looking forward to the weekend too!!
Posted on Jun 18, 2002, 11:53 AM

Images at CBoats!
by Sir Adam
Greetings...

Images of PACs pride and joy (boat and son:) ) at
http://www.cboats.net/updates.html .

I'll make a guess here from what I've heard...a gemini. What do those who know say???

C-ya!
Sir Adam
P.S. For those wondering-we're looking at 15-20 paddlers for the FIRST EVER HUDSON ARMADA!!
Posted on Jun 18, 2002, 6:53 PM

I'm pretty sure
by DaveM
that boat is a "Lotta Fun" boat.
Seriously, it looks like a Gemini, but I'm not that good at C-2 designs.

I'm guessing you guys are gonna have a blast in that boat.....DM
Posted on Jun 19, 2002, 5:37 AM
Keep the C!
Adam