Best floatation vest for c-boating???

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

by Dennis
Time for a new floatation vest, but they've changed since I bought my last one 8 years ago. One of my friends has a new Stholquist and it is very bulky in the front, unlike the older vests. His vest gets in the way of rolling his open boat. It is so big in the front that it hits the gunnle and interferes with the roll.

What is a good comfortable vest that will not ride up, and is not going to get in the way of rolling a c-boat of any kind?
Posted on Jun 19, 2002, 6:33 AM

Do not buy....
by Mike W.
ExtraSport Retro-Glide-Joust. It is very comfortable for playing & rolling OC-1 & C-1. I even wear it when flatwater races require a vest since it stays out of the way. Problem is they keep coming apart.
Mike W.
Posted on Jun 19, 2002, 8:51 AM

My personal preferance...
by Rob W
...is still the extrasport gold label vest. Yes I know it screams old school but I have tried on a lot of pfd's in the store, cinched 'em down, proceeded to kneel and go through the motions of paddling (rotation) and I have yet to find a panel vest that I feel allows me the rotational freedom that the ribbed style vest does. Furthermore its got nearly 1 1/2 times the floatation of most of the newer vests and it costs less than most of them. I think you need to try on alot of pfd's and see which ones seem the most comfortable to you. A friend of mine said he just got a kokatat pfd thats the most comfortable one he's ever owned.(sorry don't know the model)
good luck,
Rob
Posted on Jun 19, 2002, 9:01 AM

Depends...
by Sir Adam
I have a couple vests...I like my ExtraSport (Fury, I think-22lb+ floatation Rescue Vest) for creeking and BIG water (high Hudson, Moose). Over all I vastly prefer my Lotus Sherman though-panel vest, fits well, snugs down nicely, and does not impede movement at all. Not as high flotation as my Fury?, but fine for "normal" situations. So, depending on where you boat, find the flotation / vest right for you!

C-ya IN the Rivah! (Putting the outside seams on the Mave tonight...next, create a trial cockpit rim:), then try it out!)
Sir Adam
Posted on Jun 19, 2002, 1:22 PM

stohlquist pfd
by Garrett
i have a stohlquist wedge (the larger version of the brik) and i love it! i have no problems rolling my
c-1 or an open canoe... i don't understand why your friend is having problems with it...
Posted on Jun 20, 2002, 11:37 PM
Keep the C!
Adam