waterstick vs mitchell vs werner vs etc

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

by chip
I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here but.......
I'm looking for a new paddle and have run into a wall!
These are comments I've heard:
Mitchell: wood core not needed just extra weight. Metal tip not needed and often comes out. Over priced, selling name.
Werner: All carbon no wood core for extra strength. No metal tip to handle wear.
Waterstick: Good powerface but when brace is needed it sinks. Can't find a dealer that actually carries them, they say for a good reason.
I bought an old Mitchell and replaced the tip and it has held up great especialy to be as old and abused as it has but it's life is not far from over. I am leaning towards the Mitchell but would like to here some feed back on the others. My mind can be changed and I want something to last and take a lot of abuse.
thanks, chip
Posted on Jun 19, 2002, 8:07 PM

How about a Norse?
by Jim
I've never had one, but they always look like the tank of paddles. Alot of the old timer open boaters have them around here.
Posted on Jun 20, 2002, 2:45 A

Waterstick no brace ? Paddlesnake?
by creed
on the waterstick - i can't figure how it would sink on the brace - could someone who has experienced this please describe the phoenomenon?

maybe its just attractive to the Paddlesnake.

also what experience have you had with the waterstick as to durability - thanks
Posted on Jun 20, 2002, 4:29 AM

waterstick, others...
by Scott B.
In my very brief experience with a Waterstick on the N.B. Potomac, it was impressively solid on a forward stroke and similar on a low brace (actions loading up the front or back face very directly). However, when pulling it edgewise through the water (ie sculling, in water recoveries) it felt funny, it wanted to veer somewhat and seemed a little unpredictable. It also seemed to get "stuck" when trying to recover from the low brace. It is a funky looking paddle - when Batman paddles, his Batmax of course, this is his stick.

For another kind of funky, try a bent shaft some time - I did and have ordered one from Maxwell Johnston - I liked the reach, especially on the off side. Time will tell as to the ergonomic benefits.

If you can still order a Norse, that's not a bad paddle - they are long on durability, but a bit short on finesse. The blade is thick, especially at the tip, what with that riveted in aluminum tip. The grip is a nice size. Also, they don't all weigh 20 pounds - specify the smaller diameter, lighter gauge tube, composite material (kevlar & glass) and you still get a bomber stick that doesn't double as a free weight - you can get it ovaled as well.

Scott
Posted on Jun 20, 2002, 5:49 AM

My impression of the Waterstick
by KNeal
Like Scott B., I got to use a Waterstick on the April Armada (since my slalom paddle was going to be way too long to use with the Acrobat I was borrowing from Sir Adam of Mave[ick], someone else graciously let me borrow their Waterstick). Unfortunately, I was not comfortable with it. Like Scott said, forward strokes were great, slicing through the water was a severe effort in controlling pitch, and the few (hundred) times I rolled, I felt like I did not have much pressure on the blade face. Initially, I thought it was just me suffering from a "low heme Fe" day, but after rolling with different paddles on that day, I still felt like the Waterstick was lacking for some odd reason. Again, sorry for the negative review. I know that there are others who really enjoy them.

Oh well. By the way, I'll be out this weekend working with the Xterra triathlon that is coming to town. This is a pretty neat multi-sport event. Basically, it's a triathlon that is done off-road (here in Richmond, it's a river swim, mountain bike run, and a cross-country run with a rock hop across half the river in the final mile of the run). Both races (the short event and long event) filled up about a month ago. I set up the swim course and will be watching over the swimmers during the race. Sure beats spending 11 sec. in Big Nasty at 5 feet!

KNeal
Posted on Jun 20, 2002, 7:53 PM

waterstick completely redesigned blade for this year
by James
waterstick has a totally new C1 blade this year, much cleaner through the water. I think there are photos of it on their website.
Posted on Jun 21, 2002, 5:40 AM

FS: Norse spoon-blade canoe paddle
by Roy
New. All Kevlar blade, oval shaft. 59.75" and 29.5 oz. $80 including shipping.

Please email direct: ir_hunter@hotmail.com
Posted on Jun 20, 2002, 5:46 AM

Don't forget GalaSport and RoughStuff
by C1Deli

http://www.roughstuff.ie

Quite thick tips, carbon, but very rugged. May do you a titanium shaft special if you ask nicely ... made in Ireland they ship UPS anywhere in the world.

http://www.galasport.cz

I have a 3M bent shaft designed by World Slalom C1 champion Michal Martikan -- so beautiful to look at. Carbon with steel tip. Fantastic feel and light weight and super slicey through water with great pull and comfy wood handle etc etc. However, I will be keeping it for slalom / flat water / special occasions rather than knocking around on creeks.

They also do a Playboat one -- just out recently -- stonger layup, good pic in this issue of Rapid Magazine.

Posted on Jun 20, 2002, 6:18 AM

Knocking it around on Creeks
by Joel
If I had a galasport blade I would not knock it around creeks. I have managed to break 3 Galasport blades even on the flat water. Good shafts and a nice shape as well, shame about the strength
Posted on Jun 21, 2002, 7:09 AM

Mitchell's
by Joel
Chip, I am a paddler based in the U.K and have spent many years competing around the U.K and Europe. I have tried many paddles and I have to say that the Mitchell has to win every time (even though it is so hard to get hold of here). It is a little heavy but feels very light in the water. The rope edging is a genius piece of work. Many blades just come apart at the edges, but not the Mitchell. For a well shaped, hard wearing, trust worthy piece of artwork you have to chose the mitchell.
Posted on Jun 21, 2002, 7:06 AM

thanks for the input......
by chip
I think I am going to demo a Werner carbon tomorrow just to see what they've got but probably go with the ole' trusty Mitchell. I was really fishing for info on the Waterstick and what I heard is the same as what I've been hearing from locals. Thanks for the input.

Chip
Posted on Jun 21, 2002, 7:48 AM

what about the auquabound or galasport??
by rowland
i have tried the Aquabound The Edge, and its really good. i was also offered a deal (which i could not afford, but would pass on to you if interested) on the Galasport Demon C-1, which i have heard is a fine paddle.
Posted on Aug 23, 2002, 11:10
Keep the C!
Adam