Ruling Needed

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Ruling Needed

Post by Sir Adam »

Ruling Needed
by Scott B.
Is this a C-boat or not - Perception's Revolution. If you never saw one (they haven't made them in a long time), it is a two person, hard shelled cataraft. The paddlers kneel and paddle with canoe paddles - thigh straps are used to help stay in/on the boat. The two hulls look kind of like a pair of plastic kayaks (not unlike Corsicas) with touring boat hatches. It's sort of like a siamese twin version of an outrigger canoe, built for whitewater. In the course of a Google search, I found an interview where Corran Addison claimed credit for it.

A friend of mine has recently bought one and has asked for help outfitting it, because I know about outfitting "canoes".

If the collective sense is that it is a canoe, I'll get some pictures of it up to Adam... I, for one, think we can call it a canoe (or two?).

Scott
Posted on Jul 5, 2002, 2:44 PM

Ummm....no?
by Sir Adam
Greetings....

I feel it's more of a cataraft (even though it's a hard shell). They DO look fun, though.... I'm happy to post any images you send to the site, even if I have to add a novelties (oddities? Naah-they'd I'd have to put Kayak pictures up:) ) section or something...

CBoats.net has been updated, albeit only a little. Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll FINALLY finsh scanning images in for KNeals Armada, update the Mave page, etc.... Until then, enjoy! http://www.cboats.net/updates.html

C-ya IN the Rivah!
Sir Adam
Posted on Jul 5, 2002, 8:03 PM

I'd lke to have one......
by Dennis
If the price were right. I saw one on the river a couple years ago, and it looked like fun. It wouldn't be as much fun as a real c-boat, but I could take my wife out on some respectable whitewater and she'd really like it.
Posted on Jul 6, 2002, 5:08 AM

The funniest river wreck I have
by DaveM
ever witnessed were two guys in one of these things (River Beast). Z and I (forgot who else) were sitting on Vulture Rock on the Lower Yough watching the rafters get their moneys worth (read flip and swim at Dimples) when two guys in one of these things came barreling down the river. I believe they actually accelerated as they perfectly pitoned Dimples Rock.

This caused the occupants of the River Beast to be catapulted across each respective deck onto the foredeck of each pontoon. At that time the stern of each pontoon began to sink. (The beasts drivers are now holding onto the foredeck (arms and legs wrapped around the pontoon). As the sterns sank the bows rose up into the air and the river beast sprang from the water (literally it almost left the water) as it did a massive splat on dimples rock (occupants still holding onto the forward pontoons). After the splat the whole beast flipped back onto itself.

All of us held our breath for a moment worried that the beast fell back onto the occupants and hurt them. Once we confirmed they were ok (they bobbed up below dimples) we all stood up at the same time and gave the duo a standing Ovation. We all got a good laugh out of that incident but I know we were also very glad no one was hurt in what could have been a very bad situation.

Good luck paddling one of these things and watch out for tight turns or take them at something less than warp speed....DM
Posted on Jul 8, 2002, 5:49 AM

I say "Yes"...
by Kalin
I mean, just because your partner is beside you and not behind or in front of you...does that matter? You ARE kneeling and using a SINGLE blade, right? Ha HA!

I dunno. I saw one once on the Ottawa and it looked like hilarious fun. Hadn't seen one in many years when all of a sudden just two weekends ago I saw one on the Lower Madawaska of all places. Still looks like fun. I'd give it a bash one day. Looks like Ender city in the right hole. Ha HA!

Cheers,
Kalin.
Posted on Jul 8, 2002, 3:46 PM

I think we need a pic.
by Z
from what I remember the paddler is not really on their Knees, but in more of a horse riding position with their legs wrapped around the "pontoon". But like everyone else, it's been a while since I saw one on the river.

Z
Posted on Jul 9, 2002, 7:09 AM

no pics, yet...
by Scott B.
The paddler sits on a proper pedestal with thigh straps. I can't remember if there are toe blocks, but the current owner described ankle blocks. He also said that behind the pedestal was a place where you could sit further back and stretch your legs out in front of you. The more I think about it, the more I feel it can be thought of as a form of outrigger canoe.

He did describe an ender they got in hades Hole on the Ocoee - unless you land it flat, you are swimming because there is NO rolling the thing... He also said that they have run section IV of the Chattooga with it - he said it has two sets of spreader bars, I'm assuming they used the narrow ones on section IV...

Scott
Posted on Jul 9, 2002, 9:50 AM
Keep the C!
Adam