newbie questions

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

newbie questions

Post by sbroam »

newbie questions
by Zeke Preis
OK, so i've been into flatwater and slow to moderate rivers for years. i have a 17ft old town discovery that i take out for up to 10 days at time and can handle class II and maybe small IIIs even with lots of gear, but i want to get into more serious whitewater (up to class IV to start with) i reciently took kayaking lessions in a little playboat and loved it but want to be able to take some gear, maybe enuff for a day or 2. kayaks are expensive and i have a line on a cheep 11.5ft sawyer canoe thats supposedly good for ww. its got almost no rocker, a somewhat planed bottom, and almost exagerated tumblehome sides. if i pulled the seat, put in a pedestal, kneepads, ect. would it suit my needs? i read on a link from this page that LESS floatation means an easier roll, but maybe this was applying to a closed boat? what about a skirt/deck? what exactly is the difference between c-1 and oc-1? i saw pictures on another link from this page (about rolling an open boat) and the boat sure looked decked to me. any good books/sites out there for an intro into whitewater canoing, boat conversion, whatever? sorry to ramble on, but i wanna learn. thanx

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 10:54 AM

Thrill of the Paddle
by Scott B.
Get the book "Thrill of the Paddle" by Paul Mason (and Mark Scriver? my copy is not in front of me) - it thoroughly covers equipment, technique, and outfitting for whitewater open boat paddling. I don't know of a comparable text for C-1ing.

www.cboats.net has plenty of information about all manner of C-boats, there you can see the difference between OC-1s (open canoe, solo) and C-1 (decked canoe, solo); OC-2 (open canoe, tandem) and C-2 (decked canoe, tandem).

Scott

Posted on Jul 30, 2002, 4:25 PM