What is the advisable downside limit of a C1?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

by Mangobait
I am looking to make my first C1 conversion. I'd been thinking of a Perception Madness just because it is fairly wide and quite long (8' 4" / 254 cm
25 1/4" / 64 cm) but I am wondering if the length is really anything to think about. I am more inclined to do the conversion on something smaller like the Full Tilt, which isn't much narrower (6' 10" / 208 cm 24 1/2" / 62 cm). I am 6ft 180lbs.

Posted on Aug 8, 2002, 10:42 PM

Umm...er....
by Sir Adam
8'4" is "quite long"? I remember when the Groove (at 8'1") was miniscule, and the Atom (9'10") was "short" or "tiny". So try any boat out you can, no matter what people say, and let us know how it turns out:).

C-ya!
Sir Adam

Posted on Aug 9, 2002, 9:40 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Go for width, and comfort, first
by Eric
I personally look at the hull width of the boat when shopping conversions. The wider the planing width of the boat, the happier and more comfortable, I am. I know the Wavesport EZ boats, and the 2002 Pyranhha (sp?) swallow tail boats are wide, though very slow. Is your ideal boat for playboating, riverrunnning, or both? My creek boat conversion, an H2, isn't particularly wide or comfortable, but I TOLERATE the boat because it gets me down the river safely, like it should. Length is important, maybe.

Posted on Aug 9, 2002, 5:12 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tell us more...
by Kalin
Paddling experience? Goals to achieve? (i.e.-freestyle? river running? both?)What did you do before you decided to try C1? Were you an open boater? or <gulp> a K-boater?

I tried a Madness C1 and liked it. The stern was a little grabby at my weight (230 lbs) but it should be good for you. I found it fast and stable. In that size class I prefer a Wave Sport Z C1 but I would like to give a Madness another go first...

Tell us more about what you want to do and let's go from there...

Cheers,
Kalin.

Posted on Aug 9, 2002, 5:24 PM

Details details.
by Mangobait
I want to do both playboating and river running, so a fellow I talked to said to go for the Madness. The Full Tilt would be very slow, more so than as a kayak.

Most of my experience is as an open boater but I have some experience as a kayaker. (I think any bastard should acknowledge all parentage.)

My next question is exactly the best way to do the conversion. This friend had a Perception deck (and likes it a lot more than the Dagger one) but said they aren't sold separately. He said one good way to go would be to do a bulkhead system with a paddle shaft down the centre, both to keep the bulkheads in place and also as something to tie the thigh straps from.

Anybody with experience setting this up? It sounds fairly straightforward but does anybody have details that would help me out?

(He also said that with this system it is easily transferable to another boat. Feedback?)

Posted on Aug 13, 2002, 2:42 PM

You have a number of good choices ...
by John O
The Dagger consol is not a bad way to go. I have had several of them, and they have all been easy enough to modify to my liking. My current boat has a Perception consol in it and I like it too. It seems like it would be a little lighter than the Dagger, but I don't know if that is actually true. Two more interesting ways to go would be to make your own. I was at Lowes recently and saw a piece of 4" sq tubing that is supposed to be used as a vinyl fence post, but it had "C-1 center beam" writing all over it in my mind. All you would have to do would be to cut the post so that it overlaps each pillar by 3". Then cut a notch out of the top wall of the post so that each pillar will slide into the notch. The post will then be held down and side-to-side by the pillars. You could easily put a stainless steel U-bolt through the top wall of the tube to attach your thigh straps. A forth, and really good, option is to check out Team etc. outfitting. I think the guys name is Jerry. Try painboater@yahoo.com. He has worked out a really clever, and bomb-proof way to do conversions. I spent ten minutes in a boat that was outfitted using his tricks, and I was really impressed. His kit includes clear instructions and templates. Sorry about the ramblin's! Good luck with your conversion. You have lots of good choices.

Posted on Aug 13, 2002, 9:41 PM

TEAM etc Conversions
by Sir Adam
More info from J. at CBoats:

http://www.cboats.net/teametc.html

Sir Adam

Posted on Aug 14, 2002, 6:07 AM