How about a good rescue PFD for cboating?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

by Eric
I'm currently shopping PFDs for a comfortable model to use cboating. I have always used thin foam panelled front zip vest that allow for easy crossovers. These models have always been no frills basic PFDs, which as time progresses no longer seem adequate in many situations.

So... what are you guys whereing and why? I have tried the Lotus Sherman and the Lola vests in the shops.I like the Lola Pro better of the two for ease of crossover. Big pockets though that may be annoying when being brushed against while j stroking all day. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Eric

Posted on Aug 7, 2002, 4:18 PM

P-Vest
by Aaron
I boought a Lotus P-Vest a couple years back when I started paddling in kayaks, and I used for paddling C-1 also and it has worked well. It has all the set ups for rescue, and is pretty small compared to other rescue vest.

Posted on Aug 7, 2002, 7:12 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RESCUE VEST
by BILL
I HAVE A SWIFTWATER PHANTOM II. IT'S A PROFESSIONAL RESCUE VEST (TYPE V) WITH QUICK RELEASE HARNESS. IT'S COMFORTABLE AND PROVIDES GOOD PROTECTION FROM ROCKS AND LUMBER. ABOUT $150.00
DANCE AND IT WILL RAIN!

Posted on Aug 8, 2002, 11:13 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You were right first time
by Ej in B.C.
I used a Lotus canoeing WW but when I went looking for a vest for C1- lower front profile and greater flex, I ended up going back to my Blackfeather,a vertical ribbed, inexpensive, flatwater vest, stored away and dusty.
It works great on all counts. Granted the Blackfeather has a retro grunge "look" but there is something easier and flexible to many smaller vertical slats as opposed to the block of foam in the more modern vest styles.
As to your rescue question I am going to get the shoemaker and his needle to stitch on a rescue belt attatchment and move the belt over from my Lotus. Given the 6 times difference in cost between the two types/styles I feel that I can chance ruining a dusty Blackfeather, "prototyping one", and still be ahead.

Posted on Aug 13, 2002, 8:36 AM

Re:advice on rescue PFDs
by Eric
Thanks for the advice. I have thought about taking a basic jacket and stitching up some belt loops for a rescue belt, but I would definately wonder about the strength of my end product.

Given the high price tag for rescue jackets, I'm going to look a little more before buying . Maybe at Gauleyfest there will be plenty of different jackets around to try for a good fit. I'm impressed with the quality of the Lotus jackets so I'll see...

Posted on Aug 14, 2002, 6:39 PM