Advise for selecting first solo ww canoe

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

by Ted Lowe
Sounds like a wealth of cumulative experience on this forum, so thought I'd present a little dilemna...

For the last two seasons I have been paddling a Mad River Freedom (usually tandem, sometimes solo) on class II and III rivers in Montana, and now I am ready for my first solo boat. This summer I have borrowed as many boats as I can lay hands on: Outrage, Ovation, Rival, Impulse, and just today I paddled an Ocoee and loved it. I am a solid intermediate paddler (would call myself advanced intermed. but I don't roll yet) weighing 170#. I want a boat that will continue to challenge me to improve for years to come, but I am more of a river runner than a rodeo rider. I don't mind the occasional swim until I learn to roll.

I liked the hull speed and dry ride of the rival, but the Ocoee dazzled me with its snappy turns and ability to carve and surf. The boat that I haven't been able to try is the Mohawk Probe 12II. Does anyone have any insight to share about the relative merits of a 12II and an Ocoee? Probably comparing apples to oranges, but I'd appreciate any ideas...

Posted on Aug 5, 2002, 9:50 PM

C-Boats C-Boats C-Boats
by DaveM

Those are all fine boats, but if you want something that will intrigue you for the rest of your days, you should buy a decked canoe or C-1. C-1's are way more fun than open boats and you don't have to bail!

DM

Posted on Aug 6, 2002, 5:24 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have an extra c-1 you could try out.....
by Dennis
I too am in Montana, and I have three c-1s here at the house. If you'd like to give one of these boats a try let me know, or just stop by and we could go paddle.

Dennis Schafer
Bozeman MT

Posted on Aug 6, 2002, 7:20 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For more info...
by Sir Adam
Check out http://www.cboats.net/ocboats.html ...and the rest of the CBoats site of course:) . You may want to seriously consider an Esquif as well...I've heard A LOT of good things about them lately....

C-ya!
Sir Adam

Posted on Aug 6, 2002, 9:12 AM

Open Boats
by Scott B.
I won't argue the merits of C-1s versus OC-1s - I paddle both and enjoy both.

If you want to try a Mohawk boat comparable to the Ocoee, try the Viper series - the 11 is a similar length to the Ocoee, but less edgy. The 12 is edgier than the 11 (but a little less so than the Ocoee) and faster than both. I have a Viper 12 that I have loved to pieces, almost literally... The new Esquif boats look interesting, too.

As Dave Miller usually is quick to point out - everything happens faster in glass. Don't forget that there are glass open boats which are also a very interesting experience.

Scott

Posted on Aug 6, 2002, 11:51 AM

re advice
by Ted
Thanks to all for the insights! I will certainly try out a C-1 first chance I get.

Posted on Aug 6, 2002, 9:26 PM

Re: Advise for selecting first solo ww canoe
by dick
if you like the ocoee's hard chines, you should look at one of the mohawk vipers. i had a mohawk rodeo and really liked the quality of their boats. also there double thigh retainer is one of if not the best factory outfiiting i've seen. it's super snug but a snap to get out. ordering directly from mohawk is really easy and will save you money on a brand new boat. they are also really freindly and helpfull if you call or email them.
dick

Posted on Aug 7, 2002, 4:01 PM

Re: Advise for selecting first solo ww canoe
by DJ
I believe you have answered your own question. IMO nothing in royolex out performs the Ocoee as a do it all boat. Dennis

Posted on Aug 8, 2002, 4:55 AM

Yes...the Ocoee
by MarkT
I agree with the last post. I've owned/paddled a lot of open boats...and the Ocoee is far and away my favorite.

Posted on Aug 9, 2002, 7:15 PM