Pyranha Thigh Straps

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Pyranha Thigh Straps

Post by sbroam »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pyranha Thigh Straps
by Scott B.
Anybody seen the new thigh straps from Pyranha? They are actually designed for *kayakers*, but clearly have potential for C-boaters. The obvious scariness of thigh straps in a kayak have made them design in two ways to exit quickly. Also, it seems due to liability issues in the sue-happy US, this will not come installed in new boats, but be available as an accessory you add yourself (also working nicely into a C-boaters outfitting plans). Take a look here, it's about halfway down the article :

http://www.boatertalk.com/article.php?id=108

Scott

Posted on Aug 14, 2002, 6:17 AM

WOW
by Sir Adam
That does in fact look awesome! If I figure out a source I'll certainly post it....

C-ya!
Sir Adam

Posted on Aug 14, 2002, 9:27 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Already contacted Pyrahna
by Bill W.
They forwarded my email to Midwest Fiberglass, the Canadian distributer. I told them it was going to be used in a C1 not made by Pyranha, so there would not be any liability issues. The guy's out of the office for a few days, but should get back to me later this week and I'll post any positive results.

Someone told me Riot had a similar system, but I can't find any pics. Does anyone know if this is true or false?

Posted on Aug 14, 2002, 3:06 PM

Those straps are looking GOOD!
by Kalin
Very cool system. <Mid-Canada Fiberglass is the distributor in Canada, by the way> Mike Ramsey should be the contact for them. Really nice guy. Very friendly and helpful. I'll try to find their phone # or email for interested parties...

I really love my straps from Mike Yee but these babies are lookin' HOT!~ One of my complaints about Mikey's is that they are great for river running and getting out quick...but don't always hold you tight. I need to keep popping my skirt and snugging them up after cartwheeling or a long ride in a hole.... But I was always nervous about using something else because of the "getmeouttahere" factor! I had a lapbelt and it just wigged me out too much. (Held me in tight, though!) But these look like they would stay tight AND let you out. I"m going to take a close look at these, for sure...

The Riot system is a little different. They are thigh braces but don't connect between your legs. Check out:
http://www.riotkayaks.com/ for some details about their set up. You might also find some pics on: http://boatertalk.com in the older files of pics from OR in 2001

Cheers,
Kalin.

Posted on Aug 15, 2002, 3:05 PM

Check this link as well...
by Kalin (again!)
http://www.riotkayaks.com/detail_booster.htm
For more details about the Riot system. Looks good (if you were a kayaker!) but doesn't seem applicable to C1. You'd probably be better off ripping the bindings off yer snowboard and bolting them on!

Kalin.

Posted on Aug 15, 2002, 3:07 PM

Mike Ramsey
by Kev
He can be reached at (705) 647-6549

That's the Mid-Fiberglass Canada #.

Posted on Aug 15, 2002, 4:05 PM

Interest is good.
by Bill W.
Let him know if you want the straps. Make him think these things will actually sell. They are more likely to bring in 10 sets instead of one, and for a fairer price.

Why doesn't Mike Yee or Northwater carry stuff like this? Its right up their alley and would probably fit us better. Maybe we should get on their case too.

Posted on Aug 15, 2002, 4:46 PM

Other Straps
by Scott B.
I've never had good luck keeping straps tight that used flat webbing (not tubular) and/or normal fastex - thay always slip. One exception to the Fastex rule is those heavy duty ladder locks Dagger puts in boats, and those work best with tubular webbing - but you still need some sort of quick release.

The other solution that works well are metal cam locks like the ones used on roof rack straps. I have a set of Dale Brown straps that use that to cinch down and a pin and ring setup for the quick release. Pull the cord and POP goes the weasel. I'm not sure if he is still in business - his web site has been down.

Another set up that looked interesting is a new strap/buckle arrangement from Voyageur that I saw at the NOC. They use some sort of lever releasing buckle thing with the name "Sea Quest" - I did a search on that and found a company making diving hardware (buoyancy regulators?). You pull on the lever and the straps fall apart.

I heard rumor that Immersion Research was making thigh straps similar to their kayak back bands, but that might have been some rogue C-boating employees...

Scott

Posted on Aug 15, 2002, 6:09 PM

Sea Quest is in San Diego....
by Ric Taylor
And I've been using that buckle for a decade or more. I sent it off to Darryl and Mohawk and he really liked them but he had just purchased 500-1000 of those god-awful metal buckles that he uses on their system, so I guess nothing came of it. The Sea Quest is really wonderful and is quick release as can be. They are a skin diving company, and It used to be on their weight belt for skin diving, but last I heard they were thinking of discontinuing it, because now all of their scuba tank vests have the weights built into the vests so a weight belt isn't needed. Scott, let me know if you are interested in one; maybe I can rustle one up if any of my old contacts still work there. It would be great if Voyageur was buying them from Sea Quest; that would mean they have a good reason to keep producing them.
Ric Taylor

Posted on Aug 15, 2002, 6:39 PM

I might be interested in one, too:) (nm)
by Sir Adam
Ok, ALMOST empty message:)

Posted on Aug 16, 2002, 9:58 AM

Great looking boats.....
by Dennis
Tear out the k-seat, and those funky knee-braces.......
Drop in a pedestal, and you're about done. It already has the center-point attachment and the thigh straps built in. Looks great...How long til I can get a used boat for half-price?

Posted on Aug 14, 2002, 3:15 PM

In a perfect world…
by Ric Taylor
That 4 inch rectangular bar (that has the ultimate quick release for both thigh straps on it) would go from the front of the boat clear to the back of the boat, and that kayak seat would set down on top of it, otherwise you'd have to do a heck of a lot cutting, to be able to drop a pedestal down on top of that, wouldn't you? It's probably all one-piece though, don't you think? It looks like it would be fairly easy to rig up something to accommodate each of those straps separately, but it would sure be nice to have that secondary release be incorporated into your set up as well….
Bill W., please keep us posted as to what Pyrahna tells you.
Ric Taylor

Posted on Aug 15, 2002, 6:58 PM