60's C-2's

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

60's C-2's

Post by sbroam »

60's C-2's
by Chuck
Back in the sixties I would occasionally see decked fiberglass canoes used for river running. They would have a double cockpit and a cargo cockpit in the center of the boat.

Does anybody still make such craft, or is there an old mold floating around in someone's basement somewhere?

Thanks.

Posted on Aug 13, 2002, 8:28 PM

You might be remembering the Old Town C-2's
by John O
If I'm not mistaken, Old Town made the boat you are thinking about. I haven't seen one in years. You might contact them to see if they have any idea who currently has the mold. You might also post something in the Tennessee Senic Rivers Assoc.paper/website, and others organizations like it, to see if someone has one hanging in a garage. If someone else says that Old Town never made something like that, but xxx did, believe them rather than me, because I only have a vague recollection of it being by Old Town, although I remember the boat pretty well.

Be well and good luck,

John O.

Posted on Aug 13, 2002, 9:18 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Might be a Berigan
by Anonymous
You also may be thinking of a boat called the Berigan. The Berigan was a pretty high volumed C-2 with pronounced upturned ends and a cargo hole in the middle (with a cover on it). I saw a Berigan on the Nantahala a couple of years ago. They are really pretty boats.

The Berigan was designed by John Berry and Bob Harigan. The boats name came from both of their names combined. John and Bob are definite candidates into the C-boat Hall of fame and definite must invites to any future Concordia.

I think Bob lives here in DC and I believe John lives in New England (I think New Hampshire) If you ever get a chance to spend time with either of these guys ....do it....DM

Posted on Aug 14, 2002, 5:29 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John Berry
by Icy-one
Check out John Berry's basement! My first boat was a Berrigan built by John. It was HUGE & we never successfully rolled it. The center cockpit was optional, but most boats had them.

There was also an "open berrigan"..a race-legal OC-2 which was hot compared with its Grumman competitors but unfortunately took on a lot of water.
Don't know if Kaz got the Berrigan mold when he acquired Millbrook boats.

Posted on Aug 21, 2002, 4:19 AM