Question on C-1 Conversion

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

by Jeff Snyder
Just picked up a Perception Amp to convert, and I'm using the Dagger/Harmony kit to perform the conversion. I've got everything in place to my liking (saddle, pedestal, etc...). But, I'm having some trouble deciding how to brace my thighs. The conversion kit has the holes to tie in thigh straps, but I'm not to sure where to connect the upper part of the thigh straps. I'm trying to avoid cutting new holes into the hull of the boat, which I have avoided up to this point. There are some pre-existing holes near the cockpit rim where the factory included IR seat was screwed into place, but they are too far back to safely use as thigh strap attach points. Does anyone have any recommendations?

My current set-up includes a shaped minicell block that I can wedge solidly into place between my mid-thigh and the cockpit rim. It is currently intended to be used as a replacement for the straps. I can get it out of the way in a hurry if necessary for a wet exit, but I'm concerned that if I really need to snap my hips strongly that I may pull the block free, and then I'd be left with nothing.

Any recommendations at all would be very helpful. Also, any added information about these conversions would be a great help. Thanks.

Jeff

Posted on Aug 13, 2002, 8:10 AM

time for tough choices
by James
sounds like you know what you have to do, I'd say it is time to have a beer or two and pull out the power drill, give yourself some holes to mount the thigh straps. It is a little painful to drill through a boat, but a couple of little holes should not reduce resale much or be hard to fill in later on.

Another option would be to make a rather large foam bulkhead, some people use only these to keep themselves in the boat. Sounds a little like what you have going on with the piece of foam you are using.

Posted on Aug 13, 2002, 12:15 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try the existing holes....
by Dennis
I've gone through the same thing a couple times on WS boats, and the existing holes were not too far back. In fact, on my XXX I went three inches back from the rear hole for the top strap anchor. The XXX is my rodeo-boat, so I needed the extra hold, but it is still easy to get out of the boat.

I saw an Amp locally that has the straps anchored to the seat holes, and it seems to work fine. If you drill new holes forward, you might regret it. It would be a good idea to set the boat up and take it to flatwater (with someone standing by) and give it a try.

Posted on Aug 13, 2002, 5:37 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm with Dennis on this one...
by Kalin
I've never needed to drill new holes for thigh straps...I've always found that the existing seat holes from the K1 setup have been perfect for securing thigh straps to the deck/cockpit rim area. And the space between your knees on the Harmony console provides a few options as well. Try messing around with moving the thigh straps closer to your crotch and further back at the deck seat holes (among a myriad of other choices) and see how that makes you feel. Try getting out whenever you make a change to make sure it is still safe! If your straps attach too far back it is VERY difficult to get out without undoing the buckles on the straps. Go with me on that one. If it just doesn't work for you, for whatever reason, then drilling is no big deal. If you have a linear polyethylene boat (most of them are) you can plastic weld the holes later. I have.

There are some pics on Mike Yee's website that might help. Check out: http://www.mikeyeeoutfitting.com

Hope that helps,
Kalin

Posted on Aug 13, 2002, 8:37 PM

Existing holes work for me....
by DJ
On my EZ the holes for the seat work fine and I can exit without undoing them. The origonal owner also glued foam blocks 4 x 6 x about 3" thick under the cockpit rim near the front of the knees. These do a great job of holding your knees down and against the harmony saddle. Dennis

Posted on Aug 14, 2002, 5:04 AM