canoeist gene?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

canoeist gene?

Post by sbroam »

canoeist gene?
by trevor bradian
at the last NOC spring splash I picked up a used dagger dynamo for my 9 year old son. he was showing some interest in paddling & the price was right. this week i took him to grandpa's pool to try it out. it was a pitiful sight. he was bumping all over the pool with no control at all. we did all kinds of drills, but nothing seemed to help.
on a fluke, i told him to get on his knees & try the same routine. the results were amazing! he made it from one end of the pool to the other (& back)with very little problem. wanting to see if it was an accident, i had him sit in the boat & try again. the same as before - he was twistin ugly all over the water. then the kneeling position with great results.
this begs the question - is there a canoeist gene that causes this, or is t-grip boating a learned behavior? today his granddad asks him how it went. he replies, "it was fun, but i think i'm more of a canoer like my dad than a kayaker!" he wants to know when we can get that plastic thing out & put in a saddle.

gushing with pride in NC

Posted on Aug 11, 2002, 8:41 PM

It depends............
by Ric Taylor
I guess, on whether his middle name is "Lugbill" (TEE HEE!). Seriously, congratulations; I've taught kids paddling and other sports for decades and never had anyone do BETTER the first time with a single blade than with a double blade, even if they switch paddled. Did he switch paddle or was he naturally doing the J. stroke? That would be phenomenal!
OK, here's the plan; we take him out of school right now. Then it' s 12 hours a day, six days a week , nothing but paddling. Then we give him a nickname, like, say, "Tiger" or something. Then we get Nike to design a new boat for him. Then you just have to sit back and wait for all those multinational corporate endorsements and prize money to start rolling.... Oh yeah, money. Um, never mind!
Ric Taylor

Posted on Aug 12, 2002, 3:45 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me thinks you correct....
by PAC
The story rings true! This past week I too was with a wee one (the lad) paddling. C2ing in the Potomic feeder canal (thanks Kathy for the info). What fun the child did have (the boy too)! Seems the young'ns, if shown the true path of rightousness learn quickly!!!!

I'm happy for you two and hope to CU on the river! PAC

Special Thanks:
To Brian for taking photos of me and the boy.
Nice to see Dave too and hear his toughts on the C2!

PS: Once the boy was over the intial fear of the gates he ready enjoyed it. Scott the '89 Worlds tape was worth it!!!

Posted on Aug 12, 2002, 7:52 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sort of...
by Sir Adam
I've actually had a similar thing happen with a relatives son (who is about 10 now)-he hopped in a canoe and started paddling around just fine. When his agast father asked him how he knew what to do to get the boat to go straight he said he'd "watched cousin Adam" (in my C1's). So, I suspect what it comes down to is fast visual learning from people young'ins respect or admire...now if I can only figure out why my second cousin twice removed picked it up from me....

C-ya!
Sir Adam

Posted on Aug 12, 2002, 8:35 PM