My new SuperSpud is only 4'4" long! Whaddya think?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

by C1Deli

Read all about it at http://www.biothinking.com/superspud

Posted on Aug 11, 2002, 11:47 AM

I do believe...
by Scott B.
Edwin, I do believe you've answered the question posed two threads down - "What is the advisable downside limit of a C1?"

This has possibilities - you could take a cue from Wavesport and make a variety of bolt on "ends". Or use this as portable, customized outfitting for open boats - set up your outfitting once, and drop it into any open boat for an instant, personalized fit. Strap that to a surf board and head for the beach. I could go on, but I should probably stop |-)

Now I need to find me some slabs of polystyrene - wait, maybe just get one of those big billets of foam for floating docks...

Scott

Posted on Aug 12, 2002, 11:26 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surfboard is a nice idea ...
by Edwin

In fact the whole modular thing is an excellent concept -- It could be 'The Ultimate C1 Kit' -- come in for a custom fitting and then buy various hull modules:

* Creek
* Squirt
* Surf
* Open
* Sea / Touring

I still think that just the stubby foam by itself is the most fun for play, though ...

Posted on Aug 13, 2002, 12:45 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do I think?
by Kalin
I think yer flippin' nutty. I love it! HA HA! What a great site-informative too!

I can just see DaveM and ScottW rollin' their eyes now! Ha HA! Long live the River Flip Monkeys, eh Scott? HA HA!!

Kalin.

Posted on Aug 12, 2002, 12:41 PM

I hate to sound Superior, but…..
by Ric Taylor
Only a left-hander could come up with something this addled, don't you think? I (being a lefty myself, and suffering from a severe case of micro-envy) have immediately launched the Space Canoe research and development team towards designing a 4 foot 3 inch Godzilla-spud! One critical design flaw, it seems to me; I mean, geez, it would just be so easy to add a cupholder....
My hat' s off to C1Deli;
Ric Taylor

Posted on Aug 12, 2002, 1:47 PM

Actually, the whole thing is a cupholder ...
by C1Deli
It is also pretty good for sitting in front of the TV -- flat deck is makes a good dining tray.

I guess I'll have to cut a slot to keep the remote in as well ...

Posted on Aug 13, 2002, 12:51 AM

Seriously, I think the building from foam aspect is cooler than the short length ...
by SuperSpud

You could build your dream boat in your living room in a weekend -- no epoxy, fumes, etc.

All you need is the foam, a heat gun, maybe some glue, a hacksaw, some sandpaper and an iron.

The abrasion resistant fabric layer on the bottom makes it creek-ready, and the benefits of kneel-on-top are plenty -- no airbags, spraydecks, cockpit coamings, etc, etc etc.

And so light!

I have alrady been drawing designs for a longer version, now that the World Record for shortness has been set (for the moment!) ...
/edwin C1Deli aka SuperSpud

Posted on Aug 13, 2002, 12:58 AM

All that's left to do
by DaveM
is add a lazy susan type affair below your saddle. The Lazy susan will have a pin that you can pull out once you get into a hole. Once you release the pin, the boat is free to spin endlessly beneath you.

Just think with this short little boat and the lazy susan set up, you could set a world record for spins in and not even get dizzy....DM

Posted on Aug 13, 2002, 5:28 AM

Gluing building foam......
by Dennis
I have had good results at gluing insulaton foam by using another building product.....Silicone caulking.
It can be had for $4 or $5 US per tube, and makes a fine adhesive (I haven't tested it in water yet, but I expect it to be water-proof). I squirted it onto the foam pieces, and stacked and weighted the foam. Seemed to do very well.

Posted on Aug 13, 2002, 5:28 PM