C1 hand roll

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

C1 hand roll

Post by Sir Adam »

C1 hand roll
by Ron Ron

Does anyone have some tips or helpful website on hand rolling?

Posted on Aug 14, 2002, 6:03 PM

Perhaps some helpful tips...
by Will Lyons Will Lyons

Usually when I stick a hand roll I start from the back deck and thow my weight foward while hip snapping. Just make sure you snap hard, and be kissing your bow deck for the most part when you come up. It may depend on what kind of boat you have, my XXX is super narrow and easy to roll so it doesn't require much. Hope that helps a little?
-Will

Posted on Aug 15, 2002, 11:39 AM

Another tip
by C-1-urmudgeon

Only try that near other boaters, so you can grab on to one if your hand roll fails you. Best if they are a kayaker and you can flip them in the process.

Posted on Aug 15, 2002, 6:11 PM

consider this!
by gnargel gnargel

i learned how to handroll using hand paddles. either power paws or make your own out of a broken boat(preferred) and start roling with those. soon you can take off the paddles and free hand roll.

good luck

Posted on Aug 16, 2002, 12:37 PM

another option
by Icy-one

There is also the "T-grip roll" with the paddle reversed..hold the paddle by the blade with the T-grip end away from you...and the foam-block roll. For that, use a piece of ~1" thick ethafoam maybe 8x10 or so to start...trim to suit. This can also be tucked inside a pfd as an emergency back-up while you are handsurfing or just practicing hand rolls.
Either of these methods allows you to practice with a back-up option if (when) needed.

Posted on Aug 21, 2002, 4:11 AM
Keep the C!
Adam