More Info on the Pyranha Prelude

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

adkSara
C Guru

Post by adkSara »

by Dave
Sorry for the delay I have been boating.

The forward speed of the Prelude off the start is much faster then the Ocoee Viper Phantom Detonator. Jet ferrys and forward speed and handeling out of a tight eddy into fast water is also quicker in the prelude. After 5 to 10 strokes the viper type boats reach planning speed and are faster on the water.
Side surfing in the Prelude is more similar to the Ocoee then to the Viper, Phantom and Detonater. I find it a lot easyer to move around in a hole in the Prelude. The shorter length and exterme rocker make direction change very fast.
The chine on the Prelude is similar to that of the Ocoee and Viper. Although please don,t think they react the same. The chine on the prelude is really sharp and designed more like todays kayaks. Reaction is Sharper, faster and it takes percise quality strokes to control. Once you get use to it it is FUN.
The prelude is not a beginner boat. If not moving in the water (boat and paddle) you could be doing a lot of rolling. The initial stability of the Prelude sucks. But once moving it is a high performance fun machine. I found the Prelude a little tricky at first coming from paddling a Sub 6 200. After spending some time learning how use this boat I am only now seeing what this boat can do.( or I am getting use to new run. Tamihi creek B.C.) The Sub 6 and the Spanih fly have more inintial stability then the Prelude. There lies my attraction to this boat.

Dave Dungey

Posted on Jan 13, 2003, 10:36 PM

prelude
by Paolo
Are you sponsored by pyranha Dave? This is not to be unfaithfull on your words but is better we know...
Cause you're talking than prelude is the best OC1 on the market, isn't it.
I want buy a boat for creekin and I quite like the prelude but what is puzzling me is it's havier than other one's (48 lbs vs 40 of the phantom) and what you said about the stability.
Thanks
Paolo

Posted on Jan 14, 2003, 2:43 AM

prelude
by Craig
that's 48lbs outfitted...now figure out what a Phantom that you can't even buy any more costs + outfitting + durability = a new prelude on the roof of your vehicle and many happy days. You can buy a zoom now instead of a Phantom, or still buy an Ocoee.

Posted on Jan 14, 2003, 5:11 AM

The Prelude
by Dave
Paolo

Yes,I am sponsored by Pyranha. Although some may say that this must make me biased I can honestly and knowledgbly say that the Prelude is the best solo whitewater canoe. It is made out of the only material that I hav'nt been able to break. The Prelude is also a boat that will challenge even the most experienced and confident paddler and it is incredibly versatile to top it all off. My friend Eli paddled his prelude to place 2nd in a national open boat slalom race last year one week and creeked in it the next.
As for weight verses durability . If I was competing in a rodeo weight would be my concern. When creeking and running rivers I personally would choose to have the durability.
Best thing to do is try it out

Dave Dungey

The best thing to do is go paddle one.

Posted on Jan 14, 2003, 11:02 PM

Thanks Dave
by Paolo
Thanks Dave. I asked for the weight 'cause i'm a small guy and is have difficulty to carry the boat on the river's sides...
Unluckily is not easy for me to try the boat 'cause in Italy i'm the one OC creeker (i know you won't believe)
Thanks a lot, Paolo.

PS Is your friend Eli Herlbert? I know him, we paddeld together two years ago in France and competed last year in swizerland.
PS2 Is the Prelude dryer than the Spanish Fly?

Posted on Jan 15, 2003, 1:16 AM
adkSara