looking for info on using a food saver to vacuum bag paddle

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

adkSara
C Guru

looking for info on using a food saver to vacuum bag paddle

Post by adkSara »

looking for info on using a food saver to vacuum bag paddle blades...
by James
I am wondering if I need to use some sort of release wax to keep the resin from binding to the bags, and is it possible to use regular trash bags? any other tips from the experienced would be great...

j

Posted on Jan 12, 2003, 12:27 PM

6 mil or heavier plastic
by Randy
I haven't done a lot of vacuum bagging, but the little that I did convinced me that the plastic should be thicker than trash bags. When the bag draws down under the vacuum pressure, wrinkles tend to form somewhere in the bag. With thin plastic, the wrinkles are harder to control. I had better luck with 6 mil plastic.

You might try posting this query on the new forum, located at http://cboats.net/cforum. This site is moving to that url.

Randy

Posted on Jan 14, 2003, 8:34 PM

Vacuum bagging
by Jamie
I've being building paddles for a few years now using vacuum bagging techniques and actually do repairs to paddles(www.paddlesportsrepairs.com). Check out your local Fiberglass supplier or www.fibreglast.com or www.johnsweet.com or CST (search the net for thier URL) There are also several suppliers on the net of the materials you will need.If your in Canada I can give you a few suppliers as well.
You will need ( to reduce excess resin)Peel pile breather/bleeder cloth and the Plastic bag (I wouldn't recomend Garbage bags as they have to much stretch) and a way of controlling the amount of vacuum to approx 5-10inhg. To much vacuum draws out to much resin to less increase the wieght.
I can supply more info if you like and even some sketches if you like. Also check Out Charlie Walbridges Book "Boatbuilders Manual" A little dated in some techniques but still and excellent book.
I would be interested to hear more about your project.

Posted on Jan 17, 2003, 3:12 PM
adkSara