Anybody tried the Waterstick C1 paddle?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

by Gordon

I've seen their site and the rave reviews on boatertalk but haven't met one yet.

Posted on Aug 24, 2002, 3:55 PM

Hope to soon...
by Bill W. Bill W.

I've had one on order for about 6 weeks now. Last I heard it was to ship shortly after the O.R. show. I saw a carbon one that was way to short for me to use, but the person seemed real happy with it, good power, slicey enough and rolled OK. She got hers in 2 weeks and it had to cross the border. I ordered mine first, go figure. The fiberglass kayak paddles are really flexy compared to the carbon ones, so I figured I'd best stick with carbon since the C1 blade is bigger. The carbon kayak paddles are standing up well to abuse around here, and the extra stiffness over the fiberglass makes it seem more powerful and efficient, so they say.

Hope this helps.

Posted on Aug 25, 2002, 6:43 PM

Water Stick
by Aaron

My coach had one, and he liked it, I tried it but disliked it a lot. They are really expensive and don't hold up well, and weigh too much.

Posted on Aug 25, 2002, 8:50 PM

waterstick
by James

I have been using the carbon version all season (mainly playboating and river running) and have been totally happy with it. It is standing up to abuse well, is light and super stiff, generates great power. If you are in the Ottawa area and see me on the river with it, give it a try. Langford in Ottawa has a demo paddle as well.

James, waterstick ambassador team C1

Posted on Aug 26, 2002, 6:25 AM

Waterstick, Werner and Sawyer
by Willy Willy

Mike Yee let me use all three of these that belonged to him. The waterstick was all carbon. The blade looks strange. It had plenty of bite in a forward or back stroke. I didn't like the way it feathered. It created a lot of bubbles as I feathered it. I read somewhere to just use a shorter paddle and not feather it. I don't like that idea. I look on paddling as being similar to sitting on a two legged stool. It's not very stable, but you put that paddle in the water and it becomes a three legged stool that is very stable.

The Werner was the Bandit in all carbon. It felt like it was the lightest. It had very good bite. I had already demoed one at NOC several different times. It was my favorite because of the weight and price.

The Sawyer was the Bob Foote/Harold Deal design. It was wood/carbon. It had a good bite and feathered fine.
I saw a couple of these that had broken the dynell off of the end. I doesn't look like that much dynell is very strong.

I bought the Werner bandit in all carbon. I haven't used it enough to see how well it will hold up. The kayak blades look like they hold up well.

I would definitely try the paddle before buying.

Willy

Posted on Aug 27, 2002, 11:27 AM

just got one
by jimbob jimbob

I had a warner bandit and loved every aspect of it except that it seems to be designed for more dainty paddlers...after one season the tip looked like 1/8th inch particle board left out in the sun.

The water stick is heavier, and the karma(the cheap version) seems to be much more on the beefy side. The strength however comes from the shape(kind of like folding a peice of paper, the dihedral makes it more rigid) and any time it hit a rock the amount of bend in the blade kind of gives me the willies

Posted on Sep 15, 2002, 12:42 PM
Keep the C!
Adam