h2zone as a c-1?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

h2zone as a c-1?

Post by Sir Adam »

h2zone as a c-1?
by dick dick

i'm looking to get a creeker/river runner. the 245 looks alright, but the 245 is only 24" wide. i'm 5'7" 140lbs so the 255 is probably out the question. also what do people think about the planning hull. will it be to grabby on pushy water, and what about landing the bigger drops. any info would be great.
dick

Posted on Aug 26, 2002, 4:06 PM

Two thumbs up on the 245!
by Eric Eric

Dick, I'm also 5'7" and weigh 145. This year I sold my Atom and bought a 245 shell and the dagger saddle . I really like this boat. Yes, the boat is narrow. I have a Dagger saddle in my playboat and I'm very comfortable. In the 245, I'm somewhat comfortable. I sawed off some of the plastic on the coaming to get my knees spread a bit more. That really helped.

The boat , in my opinion, doesn't play well. My kayaker friends , who bought the same boat, share this view. It isn't edgy enough to really carve up a wave; it is hard to kick the boat back the other direction, like a playboat.But I bought the boat for creeking and big water, not playing.

What this boat does great is boof and get you through the bad stuff. The boat wants to bounce up out of holes. In really frothy water, I feel incredibly stable, certainly more stable than in any other c1 I paddled before. Boofing ledges, clean landings are easy in this boat. I laugh sometimes when paddling this boat because the boat makes paddling C1 seem easy.( or easier anyhow.) It also rolls quite easily.

The shopowner who sold me this boat(he also paddles a converted 245, with the great skill I wish for myself someday) told me recently that the boat is being discontinued soon. The "improved" 245, and 255, will be more like true hybrids. Look at the new H2 235 hull , which looks like a Pyranha playboat hull and you'll be able to compare the old and new 245's. The new hull design will be much grabbier,and less forgiving. The 235, 245 and 255 will share the same hull design.

Good luck on the search for your boat. If you live in the mid Atlantic and would like to try my boat this Fall on the Gauley or New, contact me. I know how hard it is to fit snughly into bigger C1ers boats.

Eric

Posted on Aug 26, 2002, 7:56 PM
Keep the C!
Adam