Beginner C 1

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Beginner C 1

Post by Sir Adam »

Beginner C 1
by mike mcdonald mike mcdonald

Intermediate O C paddler considering C 1. Boat recommendations and why? thanks mjm

Posted on Aug 27, 2002, 12:57 PM

That depends,
by Ric Taylor Ric Taylor

on what you want to do in a C-1. There's just so many options, downriver, play boating, slalom, etc. I'm pretty Old School, I guess (and old and feeble as well, so maybe you don't want to listen to any of this!), but if you're just an intermediate OC paddler, you might want to try the Dagger Cascade. It's just a downriver boat, but it was developed (as I had numerous Dagger reps explain it to me) specifically as a crossover from the canoe world to the C-1 world. It's very very stable, and very very cheap if you can find one (they're not produced anymore, and are considered terminally unhip to boot). I was a pretty good OC paddler (solid class 4-low class 5 in a Mohawk probe 12) when I changed to C-1 and I am glad I started out with the Cascade. It's pretty easy to roll, too, although it's fairly heavy. I've also heard good things about the Dagger Redline as a sort of all-around boat, so you might consider that as well, especially if you're lighter than me (6 ft. 1, 215 pounds). As to play boating, there will be other people on this forum who know far more about entry-level boats than I do.
Anyway, welcome to the world of C-1, and I loved your work with the Dooby Brothers;
Ric Taylor

Posted on Aug 27, 2002, 2:32 PM

Dagger Redline!
by Garrett Garrett

I was a decent OC boater as well when I switched over to C-1... and I tried out dagger's atom, cascade, and redline before I decided to make the purchase and I got a Redline... I felt it was the best to start out in for me, it was short enough to be an aggressive boat yet, large enough to learn in with out killing myself... Great boat...
and if you happen to want to buy one, I have a Dagger Redline c-1 for sale! Good shape $350... email me with questions, etc...

Posted on Aug 27, 2002, 10:46 PM

how big are you?
by James

without knowing what kind of C-boating you might want to do and how big you are it is a little tough to give good tips. I have heard great things about the redline, also consider the X if you are smaller and the Z if you are bigger, and somewhat interested in rodeo moves as well as river running. If you get more into surfing and the rodeo stuff, none of these boats would satisfy you long, but they are far more playful than an open boat.

Posted on Aug 28, 2002, 6:05 AM

more personal info
by mike mcdonald mike mcdonald

I'm 5'10" 205lbs and 50 years old. I only which I was the Doobie brothers lead singer. imagine the perks.

Posted on Aug 29, 2002, 6:45 AM

I have a suggestion
by Mike McDonald JR Mike McDonald JR

I have a great plan, before you start thinking about what kind of c-1 you are going to buy, try and change those personal demensions a bit so when your weight does drop down, like we all know it will, the boat won't be a tight fit. And by the way, DAD, I know a guy with a dagger cascade for sale out here. It would probably be a good boat for you. Very stable, long, etc.

Take care,
MJMJR

Posted on Sep 1, 2002, 3:44 PM
Keep the C!
Adam