cockpit modification

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

adkSara
C Guru

cockpit modification

Post by adkSara »

cockpit modification
by trevor bradian
anyone ever (successfully) modified the height or width of your boat's cockpit. i never seem to be able to get my knees out to the sides like in an oc1. i have a Z that i picked up to convert, & the cockpit is wider than other boats i have looked at, but its not what i want. is this a reasonable modification, or should i look at a different boat? thanks in advance for the feedback.

Posted on Dec 25, 2002, 5:21 AM

Hmmmm
by Sir Adam
Greetings...

Some people cut a bit of the cockpit combing away to add another 1" or so of total width...you may want to check with TEAM Etc...painboater@yahoo.com for more info and suggestions (I prefer true CBoats and glass myself...).

How high is your seat, out of curiousity? If it's too high that will also make a good fit difficult (my seats average 6"...I figure a really comfy one is 7", and higher than that is too high...but that's just me).

C-ya!
Sir Adam

Posted on Dec 27, 2002, 5:08 PM

Cockpit modifications
by maxwell
Hey. I've had good results when using a heat gun to widen the cockpit. Be conservative with the heat until you figure out how the plastic will take it. I've done both RIOT and NECKY boats, but no Wavesport ones, so I can't comment on their plastic. To start, you'll need a heat gun, a C-clamp, and a block of wood that is around 6 inches long. When applying the heat, do not put it on the actual rim of the cockpit. Instead, apply the heat to the sunken area around the cockpit, that forms the transition from the deck of the boat to the cockpit. In case that description is clear as mud, here's another. When you put your skirt on, and are sliding it over the combing of the cockpit, look where your knuckles are. That is the area that you should apply the heat to. Heat it up slowly, then put the block of wood on the inside of the cockpit, and clamp the block to the outside of the hull, adding pressure on the clamp until you see the plastic changing. When you think you've got it where you want it, start spraying it with the hose until the plastic is cold to touch. WARNING! If you get too aggressive with the heat gun, you can seriously damage the boat. Also consider that changing the cockpit width may affect the ability to re-install the kayak seat, should you ever want to sell the boat. Having said that, the boats that I modified went from being uncomfortably narrow, to spacious enough to let my knees rest against the outside of the boat.
Good luck, and again, be very careful with the heat gun. It can be a great tool, but can also destroy your boat.
Maxwell
www.climaxpaddles.com

Posted on Dec 27, 2002, 10:12 PM
adkSara