Mitchell? Robson? Waterstick? or Galasport?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

by Garrett Garrett

limiting my choices to the following brand of high performance c-1 paddle, what does everyone recommend... I am looking for paddle with a durable blade... but performs well enough in a technical environment for all around use...
I have paddled with mitchell many times and love the quality, but I am curious about the new waterstick... and especially the robson paddle...
and don't suggest werner... my werner has deteriorated in just 1 season and werner's customer service told me "I should expect that from regular use"... I have a werner bandit with over an inch shaved off the blade that now feathers to the left and shaft with water in it... No werner ever again for me...

Posted on Sep 2, 2002, 1:10 AM

If galasport, then only the rodeo model for you ...
by C1Deli

Galasport C1 paddles are absolutely lovely, particularly the crankshaft. However, the racing models (eg 3M) are inredibly thin which makes them a joy to use but severely limits their durabilty for river running use.

They have a new model out call the 'rodeo' in platinum which is heavier layup and worth a look.

I am probably going to get a Rough Stuff (www.roughstuff.ie) which seems really tough with a strenghtened tip.

Posted on Sep 2, 2002, 3:28 AM

Mitchell
by Mike W. Mike W.

I haven't tried the others that you mention. But I love my Mitchell Premier. I have the wood shaft, carbon spoon blade. Durability you ask? It has an alluminum insert on the tip that protects it & as a bonus, sounds really neat when I'm getting trashed in a hole & that tip is banging on the rocks!
Mike W.

Posted on Sep 2, 2002, 5:24 AM

Mitchell all the way
by Chris Davis Chris Davis

I am a die hard for wooden paddles, if you take care of them they will be the most durable paddles on earth. I have a Mitchell Premier also, and love it. If you can find a Clinch River paddle try to get one, Bailey Johnson makes them and they are some of the best wooden paddles I have ever used.

Posted on Sep 2, 2002, 7:28 AM

Galasport Karas Elite
by Al

I`ve now paddled with the Galasport Karas Elite carbon bent shaft for a year. This is the same paddle Mark Scriver is using, and I must say its got me sold. Check them out.

Al

Posted on Sep 2, 2002, 12:10 PM

waterstick...
by James

I have unfortunately had the same experience with werner, too bad as the paddle feels great in the water until it breaks. and gets water in the shaft. Hello werner, strengthen the blade a little and seal the shaft better, and the stick might rock.

I have posted before about the new waterstick carbon C1 paddles, I like them alot, partly due to the stiffness, partly due to the limited wear I`ve had on it this year.

I also used the Galasport platinum paddle earlier this season (thanks Mark Scriver!), another super durable paddle. More flex in the shaft than I would want, but if you are constantly suffering aches and pains, perhaps it would help.

I have not tried a mitchell, but hear great things (except the price).

Posted on Sep 3, 2002, 6:12 AM

Beating on your stick
by Craig Smerda Craig Smerda

If you abuse your stick at all, paddle shallow rivers, hit rocks or do any creeking then Clinch River is the only way to go. I have 4 Mitchell paddles and love them for the balance and light weight, but have broken them several ways. For general purpose go with a wood shaft and carbon curved blade. Carbon shafts can break unexpectedly, and should be saved for racing.
Whatever you do spend on quality and durability first and foremost.
Craig

Posted on Sep 5, 2002, 12:46 PM

Respond to this message
Keep the C!
Adam