Info wanted on Pyranha Prelude

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

adkSara
C Guru

Post by adkSara »

by Dave
Hey,
Does anyone know anything about the Pyranha Prelude? I was thinking about replacing my aftershock with an Ocoee since I wanted a bigger boat but I saw an add for the Prelude and it caught my attention. The Pryanha site doesn't really offer alot of info on it. Any info you may have to offer would be great.

Thanks

Posted on Dec 21, 2002, 2:08 PM

prelude
by Craig Smerda
The Prelude was designed by Frankie Hubbard as the next evolution of the Ocoee. It is shorter, a little less edgy, and made of the best material ever used in a WW Canoe from a durability standpoint. The outfitting is great once you get it set up to your body size, and makes a very good creeker to boot. Don't count out the Ocoee though, it is still a very good boat, but you may not quite get the life out of it as you would with a rotomolded unit. Just out of curiosity, why are you moving from a rodeo style boat to a more traditional design? I paddle a SPFly almost exclusively, and enjoy it's attributes on a broad base... although the AFSHCK is a bit more wet.

Posted on Dec 21, 2002, 11:03 PM
Prelude
by Dave

The reason I am going from a rodeo boat to a traditional boat is firstly size. I am 6'5" and I find that if I paddle the aftershock for a day I hurt at the end where if I paddle my XL13 for a day I am doing just fine at the end. Secondly I am looking for something for river running/creeking that is smaller and more responsive then the XL13. As well I find the Aftershock very wet. I tend to sink the back end of it and its almost always filled with water. I have added a lot of additional foam to the sides helping to displace the water and leaving it relatively dry after a role but its still is very wet. I am also finding myself doing more river running, creeking and paddling instruction then rodeo. So that’s why I am looking at moving back to a more traditional type canoe.

Posted on Dec 22, 2002, 10:48 AM

prelude
by Craig
Dave,The Prelude sounds like it would fit the bill for you. It is way drier, creeks well, and can still play... bonus is it'll last you a little longer. The Prelude doesn't come all foamed out on the sidewalls but I would do it anyway..at least the top 1/2 of the hull an inch thick...and don't cut down the 11" saddle until you paddle it a few times, because of your height, that may be part of the reason you where getting numb in the AFSHCK (tightly bent knees= no circulation)...if it feels top heavy after the first few outings trim a little at a time until you hit the comfort zone.Craighttp://community.webtv.net/juskanuit/juskanuit

Posted on Dec 22, 2002, 1:44 PM

Prelude
by Dave
Great,
So where do I go about finding a used Prelude. It seems like it still pretty new and there are not to many used ones kicking around the market.

Posted on Dec 22, 2002, 8:58 PM

hmmmm?
by Craig
Good luck finding a used one.. the only place I've seen a couple is on boatertalk. They are about $1200US new, but they come with everything..(saddle, airbags, footpegs, etc.) just glue everything in place "correctly" and you are set to go. Won't a shiny "new" boat look great under the X-mas tree anyway?
Craig

Posted on Dec 22, 2002, 9:19 PM

A new boat under the tree
by Dave
A new boat would look great under the tree but school payments for next semester seem to be my main focus right now.

Posted on Dec 23, 2002, 12:04 PM

alllright
by Craig
...get a winning lotto ticket and all your troubles shall be over!
Merry X-mas!

Posted on Dec 23, 2002, 8:01 PM

New Esquif Zoom vs. Prelude
by David Nickerson (Esquif Rep)
If you can wait a bit for the buy, I've been hearing great things about our newest design, the Zoom.

I sent SirAdam pics of the Prototype demo on the water, but can't find them at this site.

I should have more word on this new boat soon. I'm hoping to make a trip up to our factory in the next week or so.

Andy Westwood was one of the Esquif Zoom prototype paddlers, if you know him, drop a line to ask his opinion.

Hoping to have more info to share soon.

-David Nickerson

Posted on Dec 23, 2002, 9:06 PM

Prelude
by oc1carnage
If you are in the SE (Asheville area) I'll let you try mine. although at the present time i'm not interesting in selling it. Larry @ 864/425-2480

Posted on Dec 25, 2002, 8:08 AM

Prelude answers
by oc1carnage
I've had a Prelude for 1.5 yrs. (mine is Sauvage prototype) + love it! it has more rocker 8"vs5.5" than the 'Ocoee' + shorter ; so is much more responsive, also has very good recovery characteristics. A friend who has an 'ocoee' does not like my 'prelude'; says it is too 'squirrely' ; he just needs to learn to 'keep his paddle-in-the-water. in my opinion the 'prelude' is more for 'advanced' paddlers. I padled the 'esquif' 12'+14' boats + thought they were too 'sluggish' but very forgiving + a better choice for an 'intermediate-beginner' paddler, plus they are a lot cheaper than the 'prelude' Larry

Posted on Dec 25, 2002, 7:59 AM
adkSara