Surf C1?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Surf C1?

Post by Sir Adam »

Surf C1?
by Josh

Can it be done? never been anywhere till now that had ocean waves. what Percautions should be taken, how should my stuff be set up? i.e. seat height, how do you do it? and anything else you can think of? thanx Josh
p.s. there is a surf kayak festival (needs a new name like surf canoe ha) happening @ Long beach on vancouver island 28 29 september, more info @ www.surfkayak.org

Posted on Sep 4, 2002, 11:26 AM

Surfin'
by Sir Adam

Greetings...

Many pages back on this Forum you can read alll about some of us surfing...
A few notes:

-When you're trying to get past some of the waves, a good stroke and thrusting your hips forward will help the boat over the wave (or through it) and keep you moving forward (a little anyway).
-Get set up early, and take a few strokes to get the boat moving first, leaning waaaay forward, but not so much your bow catches...you DO NOT really want to be pounded into the sand
-Overall I've found the waves to be more gentle, but also vastly more powerful (again, the pounding and sand comment...)
-Rolling in Sea water is MUCH easier:)

Have fun!
Sir Adam
P.S. The Viper was designed FOR surfing on the Ocean:), but flat-bottomed boats are a blast too (at least the Groove:) ).

Posted on Sep 4, 2002, 3:30 PM

C-1 surfin
by Mike W. Mike W.

I've surfed my 16' OC-2, my Cascade & my Big EZ c-1's.
Getting out: If the wave is going to break on you, tuck to give as little resistance as possible. Otherwise paddle real hard. This is the toughest part.
Catching the wave: You'll have to be closer to shore than you think.
Wipe-outs: Hurt on a shore break. Wear your helmet & life jacket for padding.
That's the condensed version. Have fun.
Mike W.
OH! Children are fascinated by C-1's. Surf far from swimmers as ocean waves can be powerful. If you run over someone you will hurt them.

Posted on Sep 5, 2002, 5:15 AM

Thanx
by Josh

thanks for the info, Can you do the same moves on an ocean wave, i'm geussing yes, will my centerfuge do the trick and should i worry about the saltwater ruining my wooden paddle? Sorry about the berage of questions just really interested is all. -Josh

Posted on Sep 5, 2002, 12:46 PM

more surfin' stuff
by KNeal

Basically, the longer the boat, the easier it is to catch the wave before it gets steep; the shorter the boat, the more you will need a steep wave face. Since you will be paddling a Centrifuge, you will need to catch the wave as it gets steep and before it breaks, but remember to lean back into the wave as you accelerate down the face so you do not pearl your nose (the bow buries in the trough resulting in unbelieveable unintendos and severe nasal douching). I have paddled my Atom, an oc-1 (Blue Hole's Sunburst), slalom boat, and a Riot Slice. All were great fun and each gave a different type of surf.

Once you get used to catching the wave, learning how to carve the face, surfing in the foam pile, and experiencing a sometimes short ride, you can perform just about any intentional rodeo moves plus some you never thought of before. Getting through the break will be your greatest challenge. What the others stated is pretty much on the money. Remember to look for an easy opening to paddle through while you are standing on the beach and aim to paddle through there on your way out. Also, remember to keep an eye on the waves behind you even when you are taking a break. I caught a VERY unexpected surf when I barely spotted a wave in time that was getting ready to break right on me! It was a good ride, but I certainly had not planned on that surf.

I'll be at the Outer Banks in Nags Head in a couple of weeks and I'll be taking the slalom boat. It will be easier to catch the surf early and get through the breaks. Also, catch the waves furthest away from the shore; otherwise, your rides will be very short, violent, and can result in nasty nose plants and tumbles in the sand (a personal experience moment).

KNeal

Posted on Sep 5, 2002, 5:21 PM
Keep the C!
Adam