Shallow Water Offside Dragging????

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

adkSara
C Guru

Post by adkSara »

by C1Deli
Had a couple of spots of bother today (not to do with my new saddle -- I am perfectly capable of flipping with a 6" saddle too

I would flip to my offside (despite my improving high brace) but the water was so shallow that I couldn't go over completely for a roll.

In slow water, I just push off the bottom with my top hand (kevlar palmed gloves help too), but when it's faster water I am just dragged along, boat on its edge and downstream of me, me trying not to dislocate arm as I try and push off random rocks ... result = swim ...

Any tips for a more elegant approach?

/edwin

Posted on Dec 18, 2002, 10:14 AM

Tuck and Roll...
by Sir Adam
Greetings...

Depending on how shallow "shallow" is, whip your body down (towards your onside) and tuck tight against the boat. With luck you'll come up on the other side.... If it's THAT shallow I dont' think I'd try a back deck roll for fear of busting ribs....

Otherwise, work on your off-side roll (my project for the winter...if I can find pool time).

C-ya!
Sir Adam

Posted on Dec 18, 2002, 12:27 PM

shallow water...
by James
I'm with Sir Adam on this one, if I have any sense I'm going over in shallow water, I'm tucking ####### my front deck, which has always allowed me to get all the way over. Pushing off the bottom is only going to screw up your real roll and get you into trouble, developing bad habits and all. I have a friend or two that favour the backdeck roll always, claiming they can guard their face with their paddle and arms, me, I tuck onto the deck and wear some armour (full coverage helmet, elbow pads) when paddling shallow stuff, the few times it has happened, I try to wait for the rocks to stop hitting me before I try to roll up.

Posted on Dec 21, 2002, 1:10 PM
adkSara