hand protection

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

hand protection

Post by Sir Adam »

hand protection
by Bill W. Bill W.

Local water levels are awefully low around here and my hands are taking a pretty good beating when I get dumped in the shallow stuff. Neoprene gloves help but my knuckles are still swelling up. Has anyone tried lacrosse gloves for boating? They seem to have pretty good feel and dexterity, but I'd like to have a few opinions before I try them in combat situations.

Posted on Sep 8, 2002, 8:15 PM

This is my problem too!
by C1Deli

I paddle shallow artificial courses and low water rivers and often I can't get properly capsized to roll all the way round so I have to do a bit of poling off the bottom or pushing off with my hands (hey, whatever works, right?) and I have three cuts on my knuckles as I write ...

It's always the same knuckles that get cut, reopening wounds too -- mainly on my lower hand.

So I've meen thinking about kevlar gloves or motorcycling gloves, but not sure about the loss of feel/touch and their waterproofness.

Any tips welcome!

Posted on Sep 9, 2002, 1:49 AM

Some solutions:
by C1 Deli

Dive gloves -- neoprene but kevlar only on palms and fingers, not backs of fingers or back of hand

Motorbike gloves -- excellent knuckle protection but tend to be made of leather => poor water resitance

Work gloves -- possible, but not really designed for being wet

Armoured gloves for riot police -- wow! check this out:

http://www.warwickmills.com/disturbance%20control.html

Nothing quite there yet!

/edwin

Posted on Sep 9, 2002, 3:03 AM

These could be good for $35 ...
by C1Deli

http://www.securedistributions.com/Turt ... %20Ops.htm

Kevlar on the back ... would be even better the other way round though with the turtle skin on the back instead, but look pretty good, esp. for $35 ...

Posted on Sep 9, 2002, 3:09 AM

What would be really cool is...
by Bill W. Bill W.

a pair of C1 specific poagies. No loss of dexterity at all and easy to get them off your hands if you need to. My biggest concern with the lacrosse gloves is getting pinned against the deck somewhere and having to find the release on my lapbelt. Its probably a non-issue but it could lead to a permanent mistake. Other than that they should work well, better paddle feel than neoprene gloves, should handle moisture well, tons of hand protection, and there might be enough foam in them to make learning hand rolls easier.

Posted on Sep 9, 2002, 7:25 PM

Respond to this message

Mtn Surf
by Scott B.

Mountain Surf Creek Mitts (all neoprene) are available in C-1 form as are their Hammer Hands (nylon and fleece). I love my Creek Mitts - easy to put on/off and are warm enough. Though they do add some protection, but what would really help would be a hard plastic shell... Let me patent that and I'll get back to you.

The Hammer Hands are harder to get in and out of and get soggy.

Not sure how pogies would help the hands roll, as they stay on the paddle.

Scott

Posted on Sep 10, 2002, 6:23 PM

top hand
by johny5

i wear a nrs extra knukle protection glove on my top hand(left as a righty) when i am creeking. i leave my right hand bare so i can take care or any emergencies. this seems to work pretty well. i don't advise gloves on both hands.

Posted on Sep 10, 2002, 5:25 AM
Keep the C!
Adam