ever roll 'till you puke?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

adkSara
C Guru

Post by adkSara »

by Mike W.
I caught the spike at Weldon this morning. It was the 1st time in 18 days that I have paddled. Great surfing on the big stuff.

I had forgotten just how cold 44 degree water is. I was wearing heavy fleece under my drysuit plus a fleece noggin sock under my helmet. My face & head got real cold when I rolled, but everything else was comfortable. My hands didn't get too cold, but I will break out the gloves soon.

After the 1st few rolls I began to feel like I had to puke every time I rolled up. I have never experienced this before (those who know me know that I spend a lot of time upside down). I can understand that flipping yourself in any situation juggles the guts. Was 18 days just too much time to spend upright? My guess is yes. Or could the cold water have played a part? By the way, I have paddled in colder conditions, just not this season.

Mike W.

Posted on Dec 13, 2002, 4:50 PM

Try a different helmet liner
by Dennis
You might wanna lose that fleece noggin sock, and try a fleece-lined latex helmet-liner. Much warmer, and if it fits right, nearly dry.

Posted on Dec 15, 2002, 6:06 AM

44 degree water ain't cold...
by Bill W.
we would consider it down right tropical up here.

Dennis is right, you should upgrade your headgear. A silicone swim cap helps a lot, keeps your hair dry and they're cheap too. Skull caps are good as well, especially if you wear a swim cap underneath it.

We wanted to try some Great Lakes surfing today, but the forecasted 5' waves didn't show up. Water and air temperature around 35 degrees. What ever happened to global warming and el nino?

Posted on Dec 15, 2002, 4:46 PM

thanks
by Mike W.
I went our yesterday AM & had no problems. My head got cold after a couple of rolls, but that was all. I'm wearing a nose clip this season, that's the only change in gear that I'm wearing from last. I do have a new boat which likes to flip more than my old one, so maybe it's the boat. I guess that's what I get for converting the little sucker. I am thinking of getting one of those swimmers caps though.
Mike W.

Posted on Dec 17, 2002, 6:04 PM

Pukin'
by Chris
I have that problem sometimes in roll sessions when I'm demonstrating technique to people. I surmise that the nausea comes from water going up your nose and into your stomach, or it could be that the presence of water in your sinuses causes it. Either way, I've found that nose plugs help.

Posted on Dec 16, 2002, 10:10 PM

Pukin' is a symptom of something, and it could be...
by Quico Reed
caused by several things.

caveat...I'm not a doctor. But I slept at a Holiday Inn express last night, so...

...if you are "wanting to puke", as you put it, you are probably
A: nauseated. This could be a few different things. Your equilibrium could be thrown off by a cold or flu combined with the violence of the water and being flipped upside down. Or an ear-infection could cause it.

Or,B: it might be that cold water is being flushed into your nasal passages and into the back of your throat. I've heard of people whose gag-reflex responds to the icy water flushing through the nose.

C: You should stop paddling with a hangover.

I think you will probably be alright...but if you have sore throat, ear or head aches, go see a doctor and see if you have an infection.

If not, wear nose plugs and keep the water out of your nasal passages.

Next, STOP rolling upside down...which you may not be able to do...

Finally, quit winter paddling. Which you may not be able to do.

Posted on Dec 17, 2002, 12:16 PM
adkSara