Is there enough space in a cascade for tripping??

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

adkSara
C Guru

Post by adkSara »

by Michael Devine
I'm thinknig about buying a c-1 that will allow me to do some ultra-weight tripping. How many days can you get out of a well packed cascade?

Posted on Dec 12, 2002, 10:59 AM

Gear replaces air bags
by Randy
I think you could camp with gear that would fit in a Cascade. The gear would have to be minimal in weight and size. I haven't done it yet, but would like to try it in my Cascade. I weigh 170, and feel like the Cascade could handle me and 40 lbs of gear.

One way to estimate would be to get a typical airbag or two and figure out how much volume is in them. A Cascade allows two long bags forward and two short bags aft. Each of the bags can be filled nearly to capacity before the hull starts to restrict them. If you think your gear and food and such can fit into the volume of one large bag, or maybe one large and one small bag, I think you may be good to go.

In the actual packing, I would keep all four air bags in the boat. I would load the gear into drybags tied near the cockpit, both fore and aft, trying to keep the weight centralized and the boat in trim. When I knew where the gear bags were going to be, I would fill the airbags as much as possible in the ends of the boat, until they were pressing on the gear bags.

The extra weight, and the loss of flotation, should lower the difficulty of the river one would choose to paddle, of course.

If you try camping from a Cascade, let me know how it goes.

Randy

Posted on Dec 12, 2002, 9:46 PM

I've done 10 days
by Roy
The Cascade is a great boat for self-supported runs. I've done quite a few week-long pack-outs and once did 10 days. With 10 days in the boat, I remember thinking it could do three weeks if one were serious about light-weight.

I made four special-sized nylon stuff bags which fit in the tips of the boat. Probably 16" long by 6". diameter. Then, I have four sleeping-bag sized stuff sacks which fit in front of my knees and behind my toes.

I line these stuff sacks with heavy-duty trash bags. I've used this system on many multi-day trips without any gear getting even a little wet. A friend of mine totally pinned his Cascade on the middle Salmon, and while using the trash-bag system, had no wet gear.

If it's a western trip on federal land, you'll also want a 1 gallon Nalgene jar (looks like a big water bottle) to use as a pooper.

Posted on Dec 13, 2002, 12:12 PM

I also did a 10-day trip
by Jim Michaud
It was in 1 13-foot glass boat though but the idea is the same. I took out the front wall and replaced it with a waterproof bills bag. In it I placed everything that I didn't want to get wet. I brought only military MREs to eat and one small pot to heat them with. Since the MREs are waterproof I just stuffed them into the back of the boat along with my tent and tarp. Everything in the MREs that is not edible is burnable so there was no garbage to carry out.

Posted on Dec 14, 2002, 7:03 PM

14 days
by Steve Whitaker
14 days is about the max. I've done two solo trips across Nova Scotia with my Cascade. It is the right boat. Lemme know when you get further along and I can save you a lot of heartache. But for now, buy the boat. It's the one.

Posted on Dec 16, 2002, 6:37 AM

Steve, please tell us more re 14 days
by Brian
Steve, I have done a couple of short (less than one week) C1 wilderness unsupported trips. You mentioned that you could save a lot of heataches. 14 days is impressive! What are your suggestions? Please tell us more!

Posted on Dec 16, 2002, 10:14 AM

this might help...
by Ric Taylor
http://boatertalk.com/forum/GearSwap/290845
has an inflatable airbag for sale. I love my Cascade, but I'd have to be on pretty good whitewater for pretty much of the trip before I'd abandon my open canoe for long trips. You can shift position, and keep camera/snack/water/clothing/etc. handy. I scout the Bejeezus out of anything I can't see the bottom of, and if I take on water I pull over and bail.
Good luck,
Ric Taylor

Posted on Dec 17, 2002, 3:11 PM

OOPS!... that's inflatable DRYbag
by Ric Taylor
That's what is on Gearswap at
http://boatertalk.com/forum/GearSwap/290845

Sorry,
RT

Posted on Dec 17, 2002, 3:13 PM
adkSara