Osgood Schlatters Disease and the C-1er

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

by Kneeler

I developed a lump under my right knee when I was a teenager due to Osgood Schlatters Disease. I recently started C-1ing and the lump is a painful pressure point that limits the time I can spend in my boat.

Has anyone else dealt with this through special outfitting? Any ideas?

Posted on Sep 10, 2002, 7:23 AM

Re: Osgood Schlatters Disease and the C-1er
by Kelly-Rand Kelly-Rand

I also had it when I was a teenager. It ( the pain) eventually went away, but I didn't start paddling until I was in my 40's, so it maybe that you should kayak for a few years to let the disease run its course. The lump as you say is right where you want to put the pressure to control your boat. You might be able to support your leg on a shin pad made of foam and then shape a piece of foam to glue to the top of the cockpit that envelops the top and front of your knee. Good luck and I hope to see you on the river

JIm

Posted on Sep 10, 2002, 3:39 PM

You can make adjustments for your knee....
by Brian Jones

First,try making changes with your ankle blocks and knee pads.I made mine bigger and it helped tremendously.You may have to add to-or shave some of your saddle.Its not hopeless man,I just got my boat to fit right and it relieved the pressure enough to where I can paddle rivers with limited suffering.We already suffer enough any added pain is really tormenting.
Brian

Posted on Sep 10, 2002, 5:30 PM

some consolation..J. Lugbill had O-S, also
by icy-one

I always had heard that O-S was a problem only while you are growing; wasn't aware that there could be a permanent residual effect.
Depending on the location, could you use some sort of donut-type pad to reduce the pressure?
Have you had the problem evaluated? Any chance of it receding?

Good luck...& may you follow in the Lugbill tradition!

Posted on Sep 12, 2002, 8:01 AM
Keep the C!
Adam