Perception 3-D opinions?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

adkSara
C Guru

Perception 3-D opinions?

Post by adkSara »

Perception 3-D opinions?
by D. Pinney
Would anyone care to express an opinion on this boat as a c-1? Inquiring minds would like to know.
Thanks!
-El Dave

Posted on Dec 9, 2002, 7:43 AM

3-d opinion
by David W.
El Dave,
A friend pointed me to your question because I paddled a 3-d for a couple of years.
I'm lukewarm on the 3-D. I started with a Giromax, then a Whiplash, then a 3-D, now an Amp, with a glass boat in between. I like the 3-D more than the Giromax and Whiplash, but less than many other boats of its generation, if that makes sense. The problem with the 3-D is that it really doesn't excel at anything. It has too much volume in the bow and stern for any playing on flat water, yet it has too little volume in the bow to make me feel comfortable running anything remotely steep. It is also too slow in my opinion to be a good river runner.
If you like to playboat, I would recommend a boat with a lower volume bow and stern, like the Amp or Shock, which I think are excellent C-1's. Wave Sport has a number of boats that I think make good C-1's.
If you want a playboat that also is a good river runner, I would look at some other boats too. The 3-D's low volume bow causes always caused water to pile up on the bow, slowing the boat. Yet the bow still had too much volume to do any bow moves without a lot of effort.
Sorry if I sound down on the 3-D. It is fairly stable as a C-1, I just think some other choices.
Hope that helps.
David

Posted on Dec 12, 2002, 7:46 AM
adkSara