Handpaddling C-1 . . .

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

adkSara
C Guru

Handpaddling C-1 . . .

Post by adkSara »

Handpaddling C-1 . . .
by Alden
Does anyone here handpaddle C-1? I tried it a few times this summer, and I quickly found I could barely get my hands in the water. So for me it was more hands rolling practice.

But then again, people paddle rivers while standing up. So I feel this is a legitimate question: Does anyone out there handpaddle C-1 on a regular basis?

Posted on Dec 5, 2002, 9:13 PM

Tried it a bit, love to do more, just need ...
by C1Deli
... longer arms!

It's a lovely natural feeling, especially doing vertical moves in a small playboat, as you can balance easily (no offisde!).

The main barriers (for me anyway) at the moment are fast forward paddling and rolling.

Rolling is just a matter of technique as we know from this board that C1 handrolls are very possible, so I just need more pool time and practice to get it reliable.

Fast forward paddling (eg to ferry or attain a wave) is trickier -- I can get a good strong stroke by leaning way forward, but of course this gives you a bow stall if you are in a small boat and paddling upstream. I have had some success with leaning forward and paddling .backwards., the stern (which has become your new bow) is well clear of the water and you go quite fast -- a bit awkward for keeping an eye on where you are going tho'!

I use swimmers hand paddles but there are a few ones made for kayaking as well ...

/edwin

Posted on Dec 6, 2002, 1:46 AM

We could build long hand paddles like this:
by C1Deli
the squirt boater on the left in this pic has part of his home-made handpaddle over the back of his arm for extra leverage.

This approach could allow us to make a long handpaddle that would reach the water better ... ??

/edwin

Posted on Dec 6, 2002, 2:15 AM

hands it up!
by marshwater
i injured my t-grip knuckle and started hand-paddling to get back in the game. it was nerve racking the first time i put on the green(nc) with these things, but my tensions eased as i started paddling. i never had any problem reaching the water though i was usually leaning forward or back. i ran go-left my first day out and had on of my best lines ever. about 15 times later i ran gorilla in these bad boyz. after that i decided it was ready for my paddle again. overall, they are real fun for creeking(incredible boofs) but the thought of escape is a little scary. you are always the last person in the water (stretch, strap into boat, then strap on paddles). they absolutly suck for rescue efforts. they are simply a nice change of pace. i still take them everywhere i go as a back-up.

enjoy

ps. you would get schooled with longer hand-paddles. they would be too heavy, paddles would get caught up in the water, and rolling would be cumbersome. i prefer nate-mans power paws.

something that helped me with rolling: begin your roll with your offside arm. ex. i'm a righty so i would initially sweep with my left hand then follow through with my right(saves your shoulder).

Posted on Dec 6, 2002, 5:46 AM

dam
by Alden
dam man, i was actually going to ask as a joke, "so will i be the first guy to handpaddle c-1 over gorilla . . ?" but . . . wow, im seriously impressed man. you are a far better boater than i!

Posted on Dec 6, 2002, 8:54 AM

more...
by marshwater
no you wouldn't be the first but you would be the second. i probably won't do it again, though i had a good direct line(tried to catch eddy).

i actually have another friend whom occasionally c-1 handspaddles out there now. he is the one i consider to have invented the style. i felt i had to get his permission befor my c-1 handspaddle first descent of the green.

my clain to fame: gorrila descents - C-1; C-1 handspaddle; K-1; K-1 handspaddle

all i need now is oc1 and oc1 handspaddle - yea right

Posted on Dec 6, 2002, 9:19 AM

just curious
by Alden
just curious marshwater, what kind of c-1 did you handpaddle off gorilla and go left?

Posted on Dec 6, 2002, 11:14 AM

Re: just curious
by marshwater
h2 245

Posted on Dec 8, 2002, 2:00 PM

one question...???
by g.ryan
...is it a little unfair for a c boater to use two blades?? heh heh heh

Posted on Dec 6, 2002, 9:10 AM
adkSara