looking for eric who paddles an h2 245

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

by dick

i just got my 245 today. how do you have yours trimed? i've heard a lot of kayaykers like it bow heavy.
thanks
d

Posted on Sep 20, 2002, 4:40 PM

H2 outfitting
by Eric

Dick,

My boat is trimmed,evenly front to back. Bernie, who posts on this site, and sold me the boat, trimmed the boat for me. I bought a Dagger saddle kit from Bernie, which was inserted, sans paddler intially, for the trim. I don't know anything of paddling this boat bow heavy. Bernie paddles a C1 245 also, and I know his boat is trimmed the same. Bernie would know of what your asking. I think he has posted on the forum recently if you need his email address. I don't have it.

Incidentally, trim for me is having the seat back, just about 9 1/4 inches from the outside edge of the cockpit lip. I ordered a reinforced Snap Dragon skirt, no extra charge , made to those specifications.

What kind of saddle outfitting are you buying or constructing? I always curious to know what others have done, and how I can improve my own system.

Eric

Posted on Sep 22, 2002, 2:50 PM

Re: H2 outfitting
by dick dick

i'm building a saddle. it will have a center pillar which gives the hull some strength. a backband that is about 6" high. knee wedges, and some thigh wedges that are glued under the deck of the boat. it's almost like having a bulkhead set up. last but not least, an airplane seatbelt that goes across my lap. it takes about $100 of foam and a can and a half of dap. i've built this set up before, and it seems to work. what's the height of your saddle? i was thinking about making mine 7". i'm not oing any lower than 6", too uncomfortable. i'm really looking foreward to paddling this boat.
dick

Posted on Sep 24, 2002, 2:31 PM

H2 Outfitting
by Eric

Dick,

Sounds like you've got the outfitting down to a science. My seat height is 6 1/8 inches on all my boats. I realize this sounds anal but it works for me, particularly since the last three boats I have outfitted all had the Dagger saddle. This is not an endorsement for Dagger gear, though! I don't use ankle or shin blocks, and I keep the foam minimal under my knees.

I think I mentioned that I cut the thigh hooks mounts off the inside of the cockpit. I couln't get far enough up in the boat for trim, and be moderately comfortable, without hacking the plastic off.

I've got a lap belt in my playboat, but am too chicken to put one in the H2. I have minicell hip padding , which I'm going to change out. Neal, who posts frequently on this site, has taken 6" PVC pipe, cut the pipe, and then melted the pipe to shape, to make a foundation for hip pads in his Atom. He bolted the finished PVC product in the boat, and then fittted to snugness with minicell. Seems like a winner to me.

Eric

Posted on Sep 24, 2002, 3:23 PM
Keep the C!
Adam