C1-WS-Mutant

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

adkSara
C Guru

C1-WS-Mutant

Post by adkSara »

C1-WS-Mutant
by Ron
Anybody paddling a C1 Mutant? I'm in a X now. Great for river and small creeking, but I want more volume for spring creeking in the Laurentians. I was thinking of a Y but have been told it's more like a 4x4. The Mutant looks like it will be more maneuverable. Appreciate any suggestions.
Weight 180lbs.

Posted on Nov 12, 2002, 6:19 PM

WS mutant and Y
by James
I paddle a Y as a creekboat, yes it is a 4x4, think full size ford bronco if not hummer. If you don't really drive it, it drives you, and usually into places you don't want to go. I'm roughly the same weight. A kayaking friend had the mutant out and is lighter than us, and was squirting in some spots while creeking, something I wouldn't want to do, hopefully someone will post who has tried the mutant as a c boat. I'd guess (whatever that is worth) that it is on the small side and I personally don't like the lower volume stern. Smaller creekboats I have wanted to try myself would be the java, H2zone series. Another full size creekboat to at least look at would be the LL huck. I'm in Ottawa if anyone wants to try the Y out, it paddles quite a bit like a canoe.

Posted on Nov 13, 2002, 6:39 AM

Mutant
by Ron
Thanks James. Good advise to consider. Can you compare the Y to the Quake or Aftershock. I wonder if the Y is as responsive. I paddled Quake for a couple seasons. Went to C1- X cus Quake was too wet. Quake was very responsive though.

Posted on Nov 13, 2002, 9:15 AM

plastic OC1s versus wavesport Y
by James
wow. tough one. I had a skeeter, which I used for some creeking, before I got the Y. I have paddled a quake and an aftershock a little bit. The Y: not as much primary stability as I thought I would have, as it is narrower (at least seems narrower) than the skeeter, far far narrower than the dagger plastic OC1s. Not bad secondary stability, better than the primary stability. Easier to turn and turn around than the skeeter, but still tracks somewhat. seems to dive in much less off of drops than my skeeter, and easier to land upright and in control. The huge advantage over a quake is obvious, doesn't take on water and so you can make your line more easily in tough spots. For overall stay upright, to hades with navigating, the quake is likely more stable. Without a head to head comparison test it is a little difficult to say, but I found those dagger plastic OC1s mighty slow, I would guess that the Y (and other converted creekboats) would be faster, as they are narrower but not that much shorter. Email me if you have any other questions, but I am shooting in the dark a little.

Posted on Nov 13, 2002, 9:43 AM

OC Creekn' (Smart)
by Craig Smerda
I would highly reccomend a Pyranha Spanishfly or Prelude for creeking.

Three good reasons;
1. Jump in and out to scout or ?? no straps or skirt to fumble with.
2. Not ABS so it will take a beating 5x longer.
3. More volume than C1's for faster resurfacing. (Wider=more stability)

Best reason;
Open boaters appear to be nuts compared to kayakers when creeking.

Craig

Posted on Nov 16, 2002, 2:04 PM

creekers
by Gabe
Just curious -- does anyone ever miss their big old creekers -- such as the Cascade?

To that end, does anyone paddle anything really small, like the Java? It's so narrow -- how is this for a C-1?

Posted on Nov 13, 2002, 10:54 AM

from H2 to cascade...
by gnargel
i have tryed the mutant as a k-1 and it is too small at 180. the h2 245 makes a great creeker for c-1(by the way i have one for sale $275). lately i have been enjoying the longer boats for creekin' (cascade)

Posted on Nov 13, 2002, 11:01 AM

h2-242
by Ron
Why do you say the Mutant's too small...stern squirts to easily? What did you like about it, dislike about it? Isn't 180 lbs in the 242 a little heavy? Where are you located?

Posted on Nov 13, 2002, 5:52 PM

info
by GNARGEL
i think the mutant is a little smaller than the 245 and it doesen't have the symetry. i am in gainesville, ga.

let me know

Posted on Nov 15, 2002, 5:41 AM
adkSara