help! (uk)

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

adkSara
C Guru

help! (uk)

Post by adkSara »

help! (uk)
by spankerrobbie
were can i find some straps for my boat. none of the local shops can help.

Posted on Nov 11, 2002, 3:18 AM

Have you tried....
by Shorty
How about giving Desperate Measures (Nottingham) a call, or Whitewater the canoe centre (Sheperton), George at whitewater is a C1 paddler and he is more than happy to help anyone who wants to C boat!!

I know for sure that george has got some or at least can get them as I bought some from him!

I don't no their numbers but they've got their own websites, so they should be easy to find!!

Goodluck, and I hope this helps

Shorty

Posted on Nov 11, 2002, 4:52 AM

dive shop
by Mike W.
I got mine from a dive shop. I'm using 'weight belt', which is sold by the yard. It's a little abrasive when new, but the long shorts that all of the kids are wearing go down far enough that I don't get chafed.

The dive shop will also have neat cam buckles. The ones that I have have a bunch of slots in them so you don't have to sew the straps to keep the buckles on. I think the brand name is 'Trident'.
Mike W.

Posted on Nov 11, 2002, 2:30 PM

Try a Scrap Yard!
by gwyn
Go to your local car wreckers, and ask the nice man there if you can have some seatbelt straps! Last time I did this, I got enough strap for a dozen boats, and all for £5.

Posted on Nov 12, 2002, 1:35 AM

watch those automotive belts...
by James
I heard that some automotive seatbelt buckles are difficult to release when under pressure. Anyone have any thoughts? Scary thought. I have used the metal diving weight belt buckles, with the heavy webbing from the same, with good success. fairly surefire release, though I get the chills just thinking about it...

Posted on Nov 12, 2002, 11:32 AM

Or Velcro/ Aeroplane seatbelt +Buckles.
by gwyn
Agreed, I would not necassarily use the buckles from cars, they can be a bit unweildy. Personally I use 50mm wide velcro strip, with hooks on half of the strap, and loops on th other half. This then passes through the bottom attachement point, and back up to stick to itself. Great system, no buckles to worry about, and if you do get pinned where you cannot reach your straps, they will come off if you pull REALLY hard. I have very rarely had them slip in normal use.

Another alternative is aeroplane seatbelt buckles (they unclip from the seats where the straps are attachd), bought from the supplier, not stolen from 'planes of course! These are surprisingly cheap, and very well made.

Posted on Nov 13, 2002, 3:54 AM
adkSara