paddle length for my new C1- need advice

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

darrell
c

paddle length for my new C1- need advice

Post by darrell »

I just finsihed outfitting my delirious and tried it for the first time at at burleigh falls this weekend, cold but fun.
Anyways my paddle is obviously too long. It's the one I used in my phantom.
How long should my paddle be?
marshwater
Pain Boater

Post by marshwater »

t-grip should be just under your armpit. at least for me. i am 6'1" and i use a 57.

good luck
MW
ralst one with the bigbossman!
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

From the CBoats Paddle chapter...

Post by Sir Adam »

Shaft
Shaft length is best determined by your torso height and the type of paddling you plan on doing (Slalom boaters prefer longer paddles than rodeo boaters, for instance). In general the distance from the top of your shoulder to the waterline (or floor, when kneeling or sitting on an object roughly the height of your pedestal) is your approximate shaft length. Add blade length onto that and you've got total paddle length.

I posted this up after it was discussed at length on the old CForum....
Keep the C!
Adam
Paddle Power
C Maven

A quick and drity paddle length method

Post by Paddle Power »

For a quick and drity method, try 2 (two) inches less than your OC paddle.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

What I did...

Post by PAC »

I river salvaged (fixed, etc.) misc. old cheap raft paddles (3) then cut them to different lenghts. I took each one boating until I thought I found my sweat zone. Then tested that lenght (52.5) on a 4th prior to cutting my good paddle(s) to fit.
One bonus is that I have since used the cut blades as tests for other boats (OC and C) and for back up paddles (left in trunk since I'm starting to exerience senior moments and forgt gear - or is that water on the brain?). One was even modified to be a margially acceptable brakedown blade.
This requires some time but a heck alot cheaper than making a mistake on an expensive paddle. Good Luck! PAC
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Space Canoe
C Guru

as for me.....

Post by Space Canoe »

I always tell folks to buy a Mohawk paddle. They’re decent and real cheap, and the handle isn’t glued, so you buy a 60 inch, paddle a bit, knock the handle out, cut off an inch, pound the handle back in, paddle a bit, knock the handle out, cut off an inch, pound the handle back in, paddle a bit, and so on and so on…..
PAC’s right , at the end you have a spare. I’ve never understood having an expensive spare; you only use it to finish whatever trip you lose your good blade on, and then you get another good blade.
RT
darrell
c

paddle length

Post by darrell »

thanks for the advice

I've dug out my old aluminum shaft paddle and will experiment as suggested

have a great season

darrell