OC-1 roll

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

mshelton
CBoats Addict

OC-1 roll

Post by mshelton »

What's a good resource for learning how to roll an open boat. I see a lot of classes/sessions for the butt-boaters but haven seen anything on canoes. I live in Richmond, Va if any body knows of anything near or are there some good video/books out there that I could learn from?

Thanks
James
C Guru

Post by James »

There are some good resources, I had a copy of Kent Ford`s old open canoe instruction video. Try to find a copy of Thrill of the Paddle, by Mason and Scriver. Great resource for all kinds of OC info.
Ocoee Boater
Pain Boater

dude......

Post by Ocoee Boater »

dude what ya need to do is just put it all in your hips and leav your head down,...... 8) umm nah really it took me about a 2-3 days of solid practice and i got it...try it in a pool first and then work it into a very gentle current....

i know it sounsd easier then it sounds but i learned in a genesis.,...a genesis man!!!! now i paddle an ocoee open boat..its amazin. im only 17 and not very big either so dont worry about being strong enough to do it...anywho im pretty sure OC 1 means llike big canoe solo style
.. so good luck
You can pick your friends
You can pick your nose
But you cant pick your friend's nose!
OC

OC roll

Post by OC »

Bob Foote has a good video on the open canoe roll.

there are also a couple of OC roll videos posted on sites- if you do a search in this forum for open canoe roll the original posts may come up.

The OC roll is more challenging than the kayak roll and takes more finesse. Great way to spend some time in the pool every winter...
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Let's try to get together

Post by KNeal »

Hi, MShelton. I will be out of town next weekend (gonna hang with the PAC :D !), but we can try and get together on the James to larn you the OC roll.

You can call me at my work number (804) 405-3767.

KNeal
nathan
c

Post by nathan »

Just remember, its not about how big or strong you are, its all technique. You can muscle thru it but its all based outta your hips and rotation of your knees in the boat. Good luck
The best boaters in the world are C boaters
The Habanero
c

Post by The Habanero »

One of the most amazing things I ever saw was this dude rolling an open canoe in a pool. Didn't know it was possible. I was there rolling in my C1 and all of a sudden this guy threw in a huge OC1, and he started rolling it! He was a few inches shorter than me (I'm 5'11") and was doing great.

Don't know if this would help but when I learned to roll I did it first by grabbing on the edge of the pool. Then I had a friend stand next to me and I would hold their hands and roll. Then I was doing it with the paddle.

The cool thing was that I was rolling quicker than all the yak newbs, and so they began trying to roll just like me, which messed them all up... LOL.
Ugliness Doesn't Sell--Loewy
Timzjatl
C Guru

Post by Timzjatl »

Also check out your local colleges, Georgia Tech's program (with which I instruct) will teach anyone that shows up to our pool sessions, for free. If you're ever in the area I'd try and help you out, I could probbably even provide a boat.
Also-
It is far easier to begin learning in a C1. Nearly everyone I have taught has learned more quicker from a C1 than an open boat. The open boat is much more difficult due to the weight of the extra water in it, as well as size. A C1 is also drier and allows multiple rolls before having to bail...
Tim
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

OC1 rolling

Post by NZMatt »

I had been working on my OC1 rollfor a while and hadn't quite been able to make it happen. I asked a friend and he had me start it from, a low brace - I mean a real face-in-the-water type low brace and work at it from there and then practise it a bunch and then do it from fully upside down. Worked for me! I'm now hitting about 80% on whitewater (depending on how badly I'm getting trashed at the time).

I also strongly recommend Thrill of the Paddle. A great book with lots of excellent info in it.

Only disagreement I have with the previous is about doing C1 first. It is easier and a great way to learn the general technique, but the problem is that it is easier - I have trouble if I've been paddling the C1 a lot and then hop back in the OC1 - first couple of rolls I do C1 style, which needless to say doesn't work. Takes me a few to remember to slow things down and make it happen.

Thoughts and murmurings

Matt