I need me a new boat...

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

The Habanero
c

I need me a new boat...

Post by The Habanero »

I want me a new C1. Its been over a decade since I've paddled and I want to get back into it. I'm not going to do much whitewater for the time being (not much in Nebraska). I used to paddle a Hydra Centaur and loved it (never paddled anything else besides several open canoes).

Are there any companies currently manufacturing a C1? Would like a roto-molded type or similar; one that can take some abuse as my son will lean on it too. I've checked Perception and Dagger and they don't appear to be making a C1.

Thanks
Ugliness Doesn't Sell--Loewy
Kevin
C Guru

boats..

Post by Kevin »

I don;t think any manufactures make real c1 anymore except maybe DAG Kayaks. ( Blah) But there are Dagger Atoms and what not that you could buy used. Or buy a kayak or a used C! outfitted with foam.
Drop Waterfalls, Not Bombs
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Or, Glass...

Post by Sir Adam »

If you want a NEW C1, that's not a conversion, your best bet is to go glass-PS Composites (formerly New Wave)(linkI from CBoats home page) still makes the Acrobat, or for a good cruiser check out the Viper (or others). What are you looking for in a boat?
Keep the C!
Adam
The Habanero
c

Re: Or, Glass...

Post by The Habanero »

Sir Adam wrote:What are you looking for in a boat?
Something that can be thrown around. I will be using it on some local lakes to goof off and maybe some class 2 (and perhaps class 3 way down the road). That Centaur I had was perfect. I even dropped it off my parent's deck, a 20foot crash, and nothing happened to it but a scratch. Will have to check those references. Maybe get a used Atom. I don't think my sister will give me back my Centaur. About the only thing I would want different on the Centaur, would be a slight edge on it for a slight grip for surfing with it (might move to Florida in a few years). But I've never heard of anyone surfing with a C1, so don't know how that would be.

I was hopping to get a C1 rather than a converted yak, the C1s seem to have a higher deck.
Kevin
C Guru

Surfing

Post by Kevin »

I went to Cocoa Beach In Flordia at Sebastein Inlet and went Ocean Surfing with my Pyranhna Sub 7 at the time as a c1, and it riped.

As for a true C1 boat, i don;t have too much suggestion im more of a convert kayak dude. Hope the other guys can help ya.
Drop Waterfalls, Not Bombs
The Habanero
c

Post by The Habanero »

Cool man, then surfing with a C1 sounds promising!
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Hmmm

Post by KNeal »

You haven't heard about c-1 surfing yet :o ? Dude, you need to learn one of the most important phrases our sport has to offer, "It is ALL about the surf" 8) . For a plastic surfing c-1, the Atom does just fine. I've tried other converted kyacks and they've done well. For glass boats, the Acrobat is VERY dynamic when surfing (whether you want to or not :-? ), but the glass Viper REALLY RULES when it comes to surfing. Look up one of my previous posts about paddling Mike W's Viper. In a word, Pure Joy :D ! Okay, that was really two words :) .

As long as you stop dropping boats off of rooftops, then a glass c-1 would serve you even better than a plastic boat (they are MUCH lighter and squirt designs can give you all kinds of vertical moves in flat water 8) ). Good luck.

KNeal
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

What you're looking for

Post by Sir Adam »

It sounds like you're looking for a Viper or an Atom. If you can be a bit more gentle, I'd DEFINITELY recommend a Viper...I think of it as a high-performance Atom. That said, if you want to abuse the boat, surf, and not worry, get an Atom. You shouldn't have too much trouble locating a used one, and it should serve you well.

Where are you located again? You mind be able to hook up with a few semi-local CBoaters and try their boats :D . Just a thought!
Keep the C!
Adam
The Habanero
c

Post by The Habanero »

So it looks like I need to be more gentle to my toys... LOL.

I've been out of the paddling scene for over a decade, so its no wonder I have no idea about surfing with em. What's got me interested in it again is that I recently met up with a guy who surfs (and he just moved to the middle of nowhere, hahaha) and all his talk about it is driving me crazy. I got to get back in the water!

I'm in Nebraska. About the only water that people paddle here is the Niabrara (sp?) river up in northern NE, and its FLAT. Other than that I see a canoe-wearing-car quite often going out for some bass fishing at the many local lakes.

I'm going to get a 16' Old Town for the family and a C1 for me :D Sounds like the Atom would do me well.