A question to thoughs who paddled a Cascade as a creeker

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

dillonpro
Pain Boater

A question to thoughs who paddled a Cascade as a creeker

Post by dillonpro »

I'm definitely wanting a C-1 creeker. I'm 6'3" 205lb. Cboater for four years and I did paddle an Atom for a year. I'm currently paddling a Dagger GTX conversion. I like class 3 to 4 fast, technical creeks but not into big drops. The GTX has been pretty good but I have been getting flipped occasionally in the big stuff. Have been considering one of the newer creekers like the Miccro 250, Prijon Embudo, LL Huck, Wave Sport Y and a few others but didn't want to overlook the old school Cascade. How would the Dagger Cascade stand up to the newer creekers and would it fit the bill for the water I want to paddle? Thanks in advance for your help.
LarryD
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

How big is the water?

Post by Sir Adam »

The Cascade is a BIG boat by today's standards (and to think Dagger used to market it as a "playboat"). If you're doing fairly big water creeks, and want speed, go for it. Otherwise, as much as I hate to say it, your most likely better off with the conversion of one of the newer, shorter creek boats, that will allow you to catch what few micro eddys there may be.
Keep the C!
Adam
dillonpro
Pain Boater

how big is the water?

Post by dillonpro »

Sir Adam,
As to your question "how big is the water", I like paddling the Arkansas River in Colorado at medium flow levels >1500cfs. I like the Numbers, Fractions, Brown's Canyon, the Royal Gorge, etc. I avoid class V and big drops in fear of truma to my old wornout lumbar disks. Thanks for your reply.
LarryD
aldenb

boats

Post by aldenb »

yo larry,
i used to creek a cascade all the time up in Vermont. the boat was just too big for those tight, technical lines. i took it down some big water stuff too, and it was very stable, but too much of a workout for me!

youre only 205 lbs, you'd probably love a Y, that's a big stable boat, too, but several feet shorter than a cascade, much more manuverable. there's no need to get something 11 feet long when the Y (or LL Gus, likely) is just as wide and stable as the Cascade, but much shorter and more lively
take care
Alden
CosmikDebris
CBoats Addict

Post by CosmikDebris »

I agree with Alden. On tight technical creeks, the Cascade is not much good with the newer boats available. In bigger water, I thought it was to much to handle, although I'm only about 150lbs. I just bought a LL Huck and have only taken it on the Tellico (easy III creek that is usually run in a playboat, i just wanted to try the Huck). It is sweet though, stable, quick, and fairly fast, plus easy to outfit. Not sure what it would be like at 200+ lbs, probably too small. The Gus would probably be worth a shot though, and the H2's are supposed to be really nice and would probalby be good for what you described.
Will
-Watch out where the huskies go, and do not eat that yellow snow.
dillonpro
Pain Boater

Cascade and Y

Post by dillonpro »

Well, I went on an old boat buying binge this past week and bought two boats. I got a Y off Boater Talk and a Cascade off eBay. I just couldn't help it on the Cascade, it was cheap. Got it for $132 plus $75 shipping. It will look cool hanging on the wall of my den. I may even try it on some big class IV water. With my 205 pounds it should barge through most anything.
As for the Y, I've reading mixed reviews so I guess I'll just have to try it out. Some of the reviews bother me a bit such as " big guys have a hard time getting far enough forward in the narrow cockpit to trim it out and stability is not good until you get the boat moving at a good speed which causes problems with peelouts from small eddies into swift water.
I still would like to try out a Big Gun, a Gus, Micro 250 and Embudo. This buying a boat just to try it out is getting expensive. I need to make an Armada! I will report in after trying out the Y and Cascade. I will be paddling among the crouds on the Ocoee this labor day weekend and give them both a try.
Later,
LarryD
dillonpro
Pain Boater

Dagger Cascade

Post by dillonpro »

A little history on the Dagger Cascade I just purchased. I just bought this boat on eBay from Glenn Speight in Phoenix, AZ. He told me he had bought the boat up in Maine a few years back from a guy named John Frischella, sound familiar? Could this be THE John Frischella of New Wave? Wow, I feel honored, be it known, it will have a good home.
LarryD
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Yup-John Frachella

Post by Sir Adam »

There's only one John Frachella in Maine (or that's a CBoater) I know of, and he did sell his Cascade within the last few years (he doesn't exactly lack boats...). So, enjoy your piece of history! It sounds like you got a great deal on it, too....
Keep the C!
Adam
aldenb

boats

Post by aldenb »

sounds like you got a great deal! the more boats, the better! (if you've got the income . . . !) i want to get a cascade again for overnight trips.

i boated the GTX as a C-1 not long ago -- it was an NOC demo and i creeked it down the Cascades and found it really soft and stable. of course, im only 150.

take care
Alden