IMPORTANT HUDSON ARMADA ANNOUNCEMENT

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

IMPORTANT HUDSON ARMADA ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by Sir Adam »

After much deliberation and consulting with local river managers, I am changing the venue to the Sacandaga.

To those with long drives, if you want to hang out and talk CBoats, try out some interesting CBoats on a class II-III run (short (a few miles), so multiple runs are VERY possible), come on up. If not, I won't feel bad if you stay home...

Basically, it looks very much like the river will be around 3' this weekend, which with the release means less than 1500cfs.

On the Hudson this translates to a VERY long day (slower water), and a rocky one at that. Additionally, then temps. look to be in the upper 40's up there for the high. A swim of any sort may mean a long, uncomfortable day, and for those not used to paddling 18 miles, possibly dangerous situations resulting from fatigue.

The Sacandaga has a guaranteed 4000 cfs release, is a bit closer, and I can still provide camping / possible housing right in Glens Falls (a little under an hour north of Albany) right on the Hudson (slow-moving section).

To entice folks to still come (as I know this may be a bit of a let-down), the Sac Armada will have the following features:

1) You can try ANY boat you want-just let me know so I can bring it down to Glens Falls (list to follow in separate post) on the Sac. There are two play spots for surfing.
2) Sat. night cookout at my place, and watching CBoat videos if we want, or outfitting, glassing boats, playing with the plastic welder, etc....
3) With the river by the camp / house site, boating is on the doorstep, so folks can play around on Sunday morning too, if you want.

Arrival can be Friday night or Saturday morning-I'll post the time we'll convoy up and location if folks let me know when they think they'll arrive. The Sac should be releasing all day (I'll check and post).

My apologies to those who've had this on the Calendar a while, and I can assure you I've done a lot of "hemming and hawing" about it (not to mention checking the river gauge and weather every 6 hours...).

"Sir" Adam
P.S. Please e-mail me or post your intentions....
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Available Boats

Post by Sir Adam »

Ok, here goes, the available boats:

Ace II Wildwater
Acrobat (master cut, low 170) (I may be in this one :D )
Acrobat (standard cut, medium 165)
Atom
Blackwater
Cascade
Centaur
Edge (I will DEFINTELY be paddling this one too (like I said, we'll trade off :D )
Fanatic II
Groove (assuming NZMatt let's go of it :o :lol: )
Gyramax
Hahn
Magnet
Noah C1
Oxygen
Slasher
Viper

PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU WANT TO TRY OUT. I can't haul them all down, but I'm willing to try:)
Keep the C!
Adam
adkSara
C Guru

Armada Invitation...

Post by adkSara »

As I'm sure everyone can tell Sir Adam is very bummed :( about not being able to bring everyone down the Hudson. And when he says he debated and argued with the rain gods he's not kidding - and the note about checking river gauges and weather forecasts every 6 hours is a generous estimate (more like every hour on the hour!!!)

The Sac is fun and there are many boats to choose from to play with - we went up to the barn recently and did a boat count - Adam wanted to be sure how big the museum is getting!!! :) (Personally I think they're like rabbits and just keep multiplying!!! )

But to add to his invitation... we have more than enough room in the new house - which by the way is conveniently right on the river - 50' from our front deck. (much more flat - but lot of fun to flop around in). We would love the company and Sir Adam would love to talk Cboats all weekend!!! :D Also I'm sure that he would like to use his wonderful new grill to make us some culinary masterpiece and I would love to play in the kitchen and make some yummy dessert type objects...

So to all who would like to come and play... run down the Sac, have good food with good company... you are welcome...
adkSara
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

I'm planning to come and will bring the Atom to use or share. My Viper is in the shop.
I would be interested in C-2ing with someone. I noticed the Tomahawk wasn't on the available list. Is that the only one?

Some friends of mine just got an ArgueMax down in DC. :) I will send some Pics to you Adam shortly.

It looks like I will be arriving late Friday (11 PM or so). Should I head for the barn or the new home?

til next
Jim
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Hudson Armada location

Post by Sir Adam »

We will all meet in Glens Falls-if you are planning on attending please let me know and I will send you directions (it's VERY easy, but I really don't want to post directions to my house on the internet :o ).

Kelly-Rand, NZMatt and Jo-I will send them to you this evening.

Anyone else, please PM or e-mail me and I'll send you the directions!

Hope to C ya this weekend!
"Sir" Adam
P.S. If there are not a ton of boats folks want to try out, I WILL bring the Tomahawk (C2) down. The only two boats I did not list were the Tomahawk and Maven (currently in plug-pre-production and not paddle-able.)
Keep the C!
Adam
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

Boats

Post by NZMatt »

Hi Adam

I will be bringing the Groove back up to you :) If that Oxygen is available I'm very curious since I've never seeen one...although by the sounds of it that'll be a flatwater boat :) so I'm not too stressed. Otherwise I'll try whatever is lying around. :) Of course, there is that Acrobat, but by the sound of it I might want to work on it before I paddle much more than flatwater in it ... we'll see

Cheers

Matt
NZMatt

Hmmm....new country, new rivers...-
Still not enough c-boaters....
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Current Boats at the Armada...

Post by Sir Adam »

Post if there's any other's I should bring down:

Acrobat (master cut)
Acrobat (standard cut)
Blackwater
Edge
Groove
Oxygen
Tomahawk C2
Viper(s)-(we've got PACs new boat!)
Keep the C!
Adam
abird

boatin

Post by abird »

Hey Jim, what's an "Arguemax"?

I wish I could be there, the sac is painfully close for me. In fact I will be driving right by there with another cboater, evelyn, but on our way to the esopus. adam, we should paddle sometime. moosefest anyone?
Alden
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Friday

Post by Sir Adam »

Hey Alden-if you're passing through on Friday we're just off I-87 exit 18-if you and Evelyn want to drop by feel free! They'll be a few CBoats hanging around already....

Let me know if it's a possibility and I'll send you instructions (VERY easy).
Keep the C!
Adam
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Hey all....

Post by PAC »

Although I can't physically make it I'll feel like I'll be there since my new Viper will be there. Please feel free to take it out for a spin, or two! I only ask I get a cool picture of someone squirting it! 8)
Be good, enjoy and keep the C! :D
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
jKelly-Rand

Argue Max

Post by jKelly-Rand »

Alden,
It's a C-2, hence I guess the name. I sent a batch of pictures to Sir Adam. I'm sure he'll add them to the C-2 boats section. It looks like a mid 80's boat. It's 9" deep at the cockpit with chines similar to an Atom.

til next
Jim
LEW
C Guru

Hudson/Sac Armada

Post by LEW »

Adam,
Too bad the Hudson is so low, the fall colors should be nice this weekend. We paddled the Gorge last Saturday at around 3' (+ the release). It was still a lot of fun (the Indian is very exciting in an open boat :o ), but we had to rush to keep up with the bubble and the long shallow part after Bus Stop seemed endless. We were in a tandem open boat, if I had been in a C-1 I'm sure it would have been much worse.
With the snow in the High Peaks last night and snow in the forecast for tonight at lower elevations, the Sac is looking much better!
Shelly and I will definitely be there Saturday. I think it will be easier for us to meet you at the put-in/takeout, if you would please e-mail me with a time and place.
I will bring my Extrabat and two conversions (Wave Sport X and Pyrahna Inazone 220). We will also bring our Esquif Blast, we have had way too much fun with this boat all season!
See you there,
Larry "Ceeb" Woods & Shelly "Lil'D"
cboater1@yahoo.com