Massive Groove Owners

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Massive Groove Owners

Post by Sir Adam »

I'm curious-how many Groove's are out there???

I know of (correct me if I'm wrong!)
Paul Danks / Ian Thomson (gold groove with black lightning bolt)(I heard the "rainbow" Groove was sold)
-Cone Bone
-NZMatt
-Mine (made by Massive).

That's another question-assuming you have a Groove, who made it?

Also, does ANYONE out there have a Departure or Departure II (also by Massive / Murky Water)?

Just curious (and slightly bored :roll: )
Keep the C!
Adam
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

Post by NZMatt »

I'm also really curious.....

Mine was originally made for Mark Scriver, and I recently purchased it off Jeff Kilbreath. It's the one pictured in the Gallery.

I'd also like to know about the Departure and Departure II - they look like really interesting boats, but I wonder if any were ever made. I'd love to try one out sometime (I have this habit of liking things out of the ordinary...and I have one Massive boat...probably soon to be another....maybe I'll collect them :) - they're certainly out of the ordinary designs )

Speaking of the other Massive boat - the Air. ANyone know how many of these there are around?

The last boat I'm curious about is the Master Cut Acrobat - I have one (recently purchased off CosmikDebris), Adam has one....how many more are there?

I know there aren't many of any of these boats and it's kind of cool to realise that you have a really (well nearly) unique boat...I'd love to know more about the history and stories behind any of them.

Cheers
NZMatt

Hmmm....new country, new rivers...-
Still not enough c-boaters....
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Does anyone have a picture of the Massive Departure and Departure II? I read a little about them, but have a hard time imagining how they might look like.

martin
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Departure, acrobat, etc...

Post by Sir Adam »

I have a video with still images (Massive promo video) of the Departure II. I know Ian has one to paddle (last year at least), and I believe Corran won the worlds 5 years or so ago in a Departure II...but maybe that's just rumor....CORRECTION-'95 worlds in a Departure 1, no mention of place .

I know of a few Master Cut acrobats:
-mine (originally built for Tyler Elm I believe)
-NZMatts
-Huge Munro's (where IS Huge??)
-Brian S.
-Charlie (down on the deerfield...NICE boat with a "barber pole" on the hull)
-I seem to recall there's another in central / western NYS (Utica area), but it may just be a standard-cut Acro

If folks are interested in trying these out (or other "rare" boats), let us know...and if you don't mind the fact you own one of these beasts known, post it up here, and during the next big CBoat revamp perhaps I'll place names on each boat page of "current owners" (I'd use CForum handles, no e-mail address).

Let me know what you think of the idea....

Oh-and I *think* there are 11 Oxygens..
-mine (purchased from Charlie on the deerfield)
-Gigi's
-at least 1 in Japan
Last edited by Sir Adam on Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep the C!
Adam
Cone Bone
C Guru

Groovey history

Post by Cone Bone »

Hello to all,

My Groove was made by Murky Waters. It is a full cut model, reputed to have been constructed for Eric Zitzow (I may be foggy on that) then sold to an unknown party. I bought the boat from Ed Gordon of Truckee, CA. I believe that he was the third owner, I am the fourth. The boat is red with glitter and some small blue swirls on top, white on bottom.

As for groovin', I am focused on seat location right now. On the river, unintentional squirts have always been at the bow, not the stern. I have had trouble surfing - when I get a surf going, I often pearl within seconds. I also tend to pearl when I drive forward in a rapid.

So, last weekend I moved my seat position back one inch. First impressions from a pool session last night are very good. I can stern squirt with half the effort required before the seating change. Bow squirts seem just as easy as before, and balancing in a bow stall seemed easier. I even linked a couple of low angle doubles last night.

I can't wait to get in the Groove on a river...

What are the seat positions of the Grooves that are out there? My seatback is now 4 3/4" forward of the outside rim of the rear part of the cockpit. That's down at the seat, of course, the foam slopes back as it raises into the seatback.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Groove seat postion

Post by Sir Adam »

Originally my seatback (vertical) was 3" forward of the rear rim (inside). It's about the same now, as I have a Dagger Hipgrabber jammed in there (helps quite a bit I find). Stern squirts are doable without a stroke, but I do have some trouble getting the bow down (being "vertically challenged" at 5'9" doesn't exactly help..nor does the nasty bacteria I've been fighting for the past 6 months (I'm down 30lbs...under 150 now).

Seat position and not moving your upper body when you paddle is EVERYTHING in the groove (and Oxygen for that matter).
Keep the C!
Adam
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

Seat position

Post by NZMatt »

Hiya Cone Bone

I finally got my Groove in the pool last night and I also measured the seat position. The vertical section of the seat back is 4" from the inside of the cockpit rim and it has quite a high, straight seat back with minimal curve at the junction to the pedastal.

The boat seemed more balanced than Adam's, but Adam's is also meant to be a 3/4 cut (we haven't compared them yet), so I'm not sure what made the difference. It was easier to bow stall and get the bow moving around than Adam's is, but I had a LOT more trouble throwing the stern (in Adam's you don't even need a paddle in the water, you just give a quick hip flick and it goes vertical). On the other hand, I did get back endered a few times in Adams boat (on class II, which was a novel experience :) ), so my guess is that the slightly more forward seat will provide for a little bit better river running ability....I can't wait to get it on a river and find out.

Hey Adam - how late in the year does the Sac keep flowing ;)

Matt
NZMatt

Hmmm....new country, new rivers...-
Still not enough c-boaters....
Kalin
Pain Boater

Just a rumour....

Post by Kalin »

Sir Adam,

Not only have I never heard of Corran winning the Worlds in a Departure, I've never heard of him paddling one.....so I reckon it's just a river myth. I know he is friends with Ian...and they have shared design ideas etc...but Scriver was champ from '96 to '98 and Eli took it from '99 to '01 so that rules out that timeline....Can't remember who won in Germany in '95....but the Departure didn't exist then (If memory serves me correctly)

Hope that helps.

NZMatt> I think your Groove is a full cut so you may have to huck a little harder to get the stern down....but don't worry. It'll go. :lol: Wait'll you get that thing on Babyface and the Garberator next summer! You're gonna scream! :wink:

Cheers,
Kalin. 8)
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Hmmmm

Post by Sir Adam »

I'll have to watch my '98 Massive promo video again...I thought that's where I saw it...otherwise I'll have to figure out when / who it was!

Does anyone know of any Departures out there, other than Ians? It looks like A LOT of fun to me :D
Keep the C!
Adam
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

AHA!

Post by Sir Adam »

I watched the 1998 Massive video again...and I'm 1/2 right...it shows Corran in a Departure 1, and says "Corran Addison ,1995 Worlds, Departure 1"...doesn't mention anything about place though :oops: .
Keep the C!
Adam
aldenb

groove

Post by aldenb »

I have a Groove. Or actually, I will be trying one out for the first time very soon (the gods willing!!) It belongs to Wright Hartman, and was a gift from Corran. Wright is no longer boating though, so I'm going to try out the Groove in the pool. I have never seen the boat myself.
later yall
Alden
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Wrights not boating??!!`

Post by Sir Adam »

I've never met him, but corresponded with him a while back. He used to run some pretty hairy stuff in Vermont as I recall....

Do you know if the Groove you're talking about would happen to be PLASTIC? I know there are a few of Riot's prototpyes around... If it is PLEASE take pictures (and get it so we can all compare the plastic to the composite :D ). If it's composite, just get it and have fun 8)
Keep the C!
Adam
aldenb

boatin

Post by aldenb »

hey adam,
i have also paddled a plastic groove. it was a riot prototype. this was back in 2001. scott barnes, the new england riot rep, had a yellow plastic groove. he gave it to jaime mcewan to outfit, and i paddled it at T-Ville. i was just getting into c-1, so it was a little weird. i dont know what became of that groove, but it disappeared. ill email jaime though and ask him.
later
Alden
beads

plastic groove

Post by beads »

Hey guys,

Plastic grooves that I have seen 2 One was Paul Danks and one was Ian Tomspons What I heard from those guys at the time was one was "good" and one was "bad" riot made two different boats and made some changes to the design of the glass grooves. What I can remember of that conversation was that riot made them a little longer and a bit wider. Which changed the paddling characteristics a lot.

Thats just what I remember from seeing tose guys on the river.
Cheers
Beads
Cone Bone
C Guru

Groovey news

Post by Cone Bone »

Adam mentioned a while ago that he squirts his stern without a paddle stroke. Now that I have adjusted my seat to a better location, I find that I can also do that. I never would have thought to try that. And it’s so fun!

The cool thing is that before last night, I wasn’t very good at putting my stern under, even while using the paddle. Trying to do it with no help from the paddle is what taught me to do it at all. Thanks Adam.