C1'ers in Oregon/N. Cal? Tips on rolling

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

roger

C1'ers in Oregon/N. Cal? Tips on rolling

Post by roger »

Well, I've got time on my hands, and too many kayaks laying around. So, after many years of thinking about trying c1, I'm going to convert a session+ and give it a whirl. What the hades.
I've already spent a lot of time researching conversions, so I have a good idea of what I'm going to do.

However, I've never rolled a c1, so, I'm hoping to find someone to help me through. However, It looks like I'll be doing most of the learning by trial and error, I'd also like a generaly run down on rolls, and tips on how to do it.

Any other tips you feel you need to give me.. fire away.

Thanks a ton,
Roger
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Well.....

Post by PAC »

Well I'm not from the west so you can tell me to buzz off if you wish but....
http://cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic.php? ... light=roll
Here are some results from a quick search of “roll” on the site. I know there are more and that they most likely are even more detailed. So do another search.
However, these should give you some in sight into pulling it off.
If you can get the Kent Ford video it would be helpful.
Also if you know of any OC1ers ask them to help you. The C1 roll and the OC1 roll are the very similar only the C1 is the easier of the two. Actually IMO it is the easiest roll to learn and do. Since you K you should pick up the roll quickly. Good luck and let us know if you have any questions in particular.
PS The LL boat choice is a good one.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Cone Bone
C Guru

Semi-local

Post by Cone Bone »

Howdy,

Sounds like you are farther south than I am, but if you ever get up towards WA, drop me a message and we can run a river together.

I was in Lakeview in southern Oregon for Thanksgiving with some family, but the only whitewater I found was frozen into snow. I spent one afternoon on my nephews' favorite sled run in my Groove. That was fun.

I agree with PAC, there is much to be learned by searching this site for specific topics, including the c-roll.

Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress.
billcanoes

link to c1roll

Post by billcanoes »

Thank NCDavid, who is selling a wavesport x c1, for turning me on to this video. The video is short, but useful.

http://www.iis.ee.ethz.ch/~pfaff/

Scroll to the bottom of the list on the left, then click "show me" and download.
Bill
Kalifornia_Kid
C Boater

Rollin C-1, no prob.

Post by Kalifornia_Kid »

Hey there Roger,
My name's Rob, or, if you like, Kalifornia Kid to my paddlin buds. I live in Redding CA, and I just finished converting my own C-1, an RPM Max. But I've been paddling OC-1 for nine years, and I've been rolling them for about five. The C-1 and OC-1 rolls are pretty much identical, and if you want to get together sometime, I would be glad to show you some rolls. Besides a lot of guys out here on the west coast will try and show you the Sweep Roll, which is a bitch in a C-1. Just a tip, try and find someone to show you the Bob Foote roll, its safer, faster, and a lot easier. Also, it never hurts to have another paddlin bud.
Talk to ya soon
Kalifornia Kid 8)
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

help with rolling

Post by KNeal »

I just checked through stuff I have regarding c-1 rolling. There were mpegs posted on this site in August (somewhere around August 20?).

Check through the back pages on this message board and see if you can find those downloads from around that date.

Also, go to cboater.com (German site) and check their videos for rolling stuff.

Finally, get the idea of how to roll and begin to practice. Graduated hip snaps from the side of a pool is a good way to start (graduated means that you start with the boat slightly tipped on its side and gradually increase the tilt as you get comfortable with the hip snap until you are hip snapping from completely upside down). Then start practicing with holding a floatation device and work towards a paddle. I had my wife rolling, by herself, my slalom c-1 within an hour, and she had never tried before.

Finally, being snug in your outfitting is key to effective rolling. If you're flopping around in the boat because you're loose, instructions are not going to help much.

Best of luck with that,
KNeal
Cone Bone
C Guru

Shoulder Pain

Post by Cone Bone »

Just bangin' the same old drum: I made my shoulder pretty sore when I was learning to roll. It got scary at one point. Once I committed to rolling only when my shaft hand was on my forhead, the pain went away.