Esquif Zoom

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

montana c-1
Pain Boater

Esquif Zoom

Post by montana c-1 »

Hey any folks out there paddle a zoom? if so have you had some funky experiences while under water setting up for your roll? As in boat trying to roll itself to the off side?
I have a soime what effecient roll in my boat but felt funky in the zoom . Let me kn ow if you've encountered this and if so how you have corrected it. Thanks

one blade one love
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

I don't paddle a Zoom, but I think you experience the same thing I do in my Pyranha Prelude sometimes, when flipping to my offside.
The boat does, when upside down, not stay level but it tends to be slightly tilted to one side or the other (one gunnel closer to the surface than the other.
This is not a problem when the boat is tilted to the onside, but it is a pain when tilted to the offside.
The best thing to do in this case is in my opinion to do some sort of underwater sculling while in the setup to tilt the boat over to the onside position before actually rolling back up.
What actually helps preventing this (in deep water, where being upside down is not a big problem) is to, when you feel that you are going over to tuck in the setup position rightaway, this way the momentum of the flip carries you over to the onside and makes it easier to roll.

Hope this helps.

martin
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau